Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Garrison Artillery WW1. Help needed pls.

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Royal Garrison Artillery WW1. Help needed pls.

Postby littlejude » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi there,

Whist researching my family history I came across the marriage certificate of my maternal great grandparents, married in 1917. His occupation is listed as;

Photographer (Gunner 17 AA Coy, R.G.A).

I'd really appreciate any information on what 'photographer' means. Does this mean he took pictures on a camera in the traditional sense, or perhaps something more technical? I find it unusual that he is listed as 'photographer', as my family are nearly all coal miners, not the sort to own or have an interest in cameras/photography.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
littlejude

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery WW1. Help needed pls.

Postby ritah » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:43 pm

It is quite possible that this person's occupation was a photographer before joining the RGA for WW1, both still and moving pictures survive to show just some of what took place. You don't give an age for him, was he old enough to have an occupation on the 1911 census? The fact that the rest of the family were involved in mining doesn't mean that everyone had to be; sometimes it was the mother of the family who did everything she could to keep her sons out of the pit and give them another opportunity to earn a safer living.

Perhaps there was a photographers studio near to where the family lived, try checking trade directories for the area, there are some on Ancestry or try the local library.

Good luck with the search.

Rita
ritah

Re: Royal Garrison Artillery WW1. Help needed pls.

Postby g w aldous » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:36 pm

the main thing I find interesting is that he is a gunner in the royal garrison artillery in an anti aircraft battery, chances are this was fairly unusual so he may have had the job of photographing the action for recruitment and/or propaganda purposes. was he stationed at home or abroad ?.
g w aldous

Return to Genealogy chat