Moderator Control Panel ]

Help required please!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help required please!

Postby linnet27 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 am

I am having problems finding my g.grandfather in records. He is Edmund Mosedale, born 1864 Perlethorpe, Notts. I have found him age 17 on the 1881 census living with his parents and an unemplyed tinman. I have also found him married to Louisa on the 1901 census. According to the Notts FHS they married on 18th October 1886. I wanted to order his birth certificate but can't find him in birth records. Also, where was Edmund in 1871 and Edmund and Louisa in 1891 (their daughter, my grandmother, was born in 1887 in Netherfield, Notts.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. I thought this surname would be easy!!
linnet27

RE: Help required please!

Postby paulberyl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:00 am

I do not know whether the following is of assistance, you would need to obtain copies of the census returns to confirm.

It appears that the family name on the 1871 census has been transcribed as Mosdale, with Edmund's name shown as Edward (I have gone from his parent's and sibling's forenames)

The marriage record that the Notts FHS appear to have identified is between Edward Moredale and Louisa Ingleden, although you may have more detailed, and therefore correct, information about this.

On the 1891 census the surname appears to have been transcribed as Mosedals, although again Edmund's name is shown as Edward.

I have not been able to identify a birth record under any combination of the various spellings of the forename and surname.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby linnet27 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Paul

Thank you so much, you are absolutely right! How did you find them with the wrong spelling? I now have another mystery - a daughter Louisa that I didn't know about. Perhaps she died in infancy.

I bought a marriage CD from the Notts FHS and it had the correct details.

Back to searching for the birth record!

Thanks again.

Lynne
linnet27

Postby paulberyl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi Lynne,

Glad I was of some assistance. Experience has taught me to search under various spellings of surnames. In some instances I have searched under forenames only and identified census returns where the transcribed surname bears no relationship to the actual name. In one case the transcribed surname was actually that of the next household and in another I was able to identify that the family actually changed their surname (subsequent research established they did this to escape financial difficulties).

Paul
paulberyl

Postby Mark1973 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I've also had problems where family members use their middle names on the census
Mark1973

Postby Dru » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:53 am

Maybe it would be worth looking up his birth record using his mothers maiden name (if you know it that is). It took me ages to find my great grandfathers birth entry and I even knew the exact date as it was written in a family bible! However, my great grandfather was born "out of wedlock" and was registered under his mothers surname. I know that if you don't know his mother's maiden name this bit of information is fairly useless, but I can't think of anything else at the moment. Sometimes the eldest child had their mothers maiden name as a middle name. Good luck!
Lisa
Researching: Johnson, Shaw, Burditt, Bodell, Thompson (Warwickshire), Hyett (Gloucestershire), Mottram, Lunt (Chesire), Dawson, James (unknown area)
Dru

Postby linnet27 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm now even more confused. I tried ordering a copyof Edmund's birth certificate from Newark Register office but my cheque was returned yesterday with a note saying they could not find a record between 1863 and 1865.

There were other siblings and I can't find them either.

Sarah b.1856 Tutbury, Staffs
William J b. 1859 Perlethorpe, Notts
George F b. 1862, Perlethorpe
Edmund S b. 1864, Perlethorpe
Charles H b. 1866, Perlethorpe
Ernest b. 1870 (died 1872)
Clara A b. 1873, Gedling.

Why can't I find any of the births? Has anyone any suggestions please?

Lynne

linnet27

Postby paulberyl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:33 am

Lynne,

I think I can help with some, but not all.

George Mosedale married Fanny Peach in Burton upon Trent 1st quarter 1856 Vol. 6b Pg 387

Sarah Ann Mosedall (note spelling) born 2nd quarter 1856 Burton upon Trent Vol. 6b Pg 283

William Mosedale born 2nd quarter 1859 Southwell (registration district for Perlethorpe) Vol.7b Pg. 287

George F Mosedale born 3rd quarter 1861 Southwell Vol. 7b Pg. 273

Ernest Mosedale born 3rd quarter 1870 East Retford Vol. 7b Pg. 9
died 3rd quarter 1872 Basford Vol. 7b Pg. 103 or 108

Clara Agnes Mosedale born 2nd quarter Basford Vol. 7b Pg. 189

The only Charles I can find is one born 3rd quarter 1866 Islington Vol. 1b Pg. 278
Is it possible that the family visited London at this time?

Edmund/Edward I have drawn a blank on. Is it possible he was adopted? The only Edmund S born in 1864 in the area that I can trace is an Edmund Samuel Pagett. Do you have any Pagetts in your family tree?
Another alternative is to try the Perlethorpe parish church to see if they have a baptism recorded.

Paul
paulberyl

Postby linnet27 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:50 am

Thanks Paul, that's fantastic. Where did you find them? I've tried Ancestry and Family Search. It's typical that Edmund, the one I really want, is missing. I suppose he could be adopted, but is it likely, being the middle child? I'm not aware of any Pagetts in the family.

I thought George and Fanny were fairly certain but that is partly why I wanted to get Edmund's birth cert.

Lynne
linnet27

Postby paulberyl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Lynne,

I obtained the information from Ancestry.

I know the frustration of not being able to trace a birth record for a close ancestor. I have not been able to trace a birth record for my great grandfather Samuel Lingard, although I have obtained a copy of one of his sister's birth certificate, Louisa, from which I was able to obtain details of his parents. (Coincidently whilst I was looking for your Mosedales I thought I would have another look for Samuel and I think I may have found him with his name recorded as Linyard, cannot believe I have missed this previously).

I have to admit being a middle child it is unlikely Edmund was adopted, but it is strange that he is the only one that we cannot trace records for. This is where the local parish records may prove to be useful. If you do manage to track him down I would love to know "where he has been hiding"!

Paul
paulberyl

Next

Return to General research queries