Moderator Control Panel ]

"Private Trees"

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

"Private Trees"

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 pm

A word of caution........I have a private tree on ancestry and I am thrilled that it has brought me into contact with a cousin from my husband's side of the family. We opened up our trees to each other and pooled info. However our cousin's tree is public and I was horrified to find that photos copied from my tree to his tree are now on the ancestry website. Having spoken to ancestry they have said it is a situation they are working to find a solution to, but at the moment they cannot prevent it from happening. I am annoyed that they do not make private tree holders sufficiently aware of this possibility on site. Although I have only shared my tree with one person it might as well be all and sundry.

So to anyone considering sharing info in this manner make sure that you remove any info you do want to end up in the public domain beforeopening up your tree.

Sally
meekhcs

Re: "Private Trees"

Postby junkers » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Sally,

This is not good and I think researchers should not take information (including photographs) from someone else's private family tree and make it public, it is akin to copyright infringement unless the person has given consent and possibly infringes the Data Protection Act to which ancestry would have to conform to. Have you run the issue through the Information Commissioner's Office?, they may well have had similar issues reported to them. I would not trust someone who did this and perhaps we need to make it clear that the information should not be be published without your consent. I am afraid as you may know that a number of public family trees have the same information and seems in some cases to have been copied rather than researched. It is really is not right when you try to help people out.
junkers

Postby meekhcs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks for your reply.

I was happy for my cousin to take info from my tree, indeed it worked both ways! Naively, as it turns out, I presumed that as all my data was held under a private tree it would remain so, after all ancestry make sure that no living person data is visible.

Although my cousin has removed the photos from his tree they will remain on the ancestry website until it is next "Indexed" which could be weeks!

In my opinion Ancestry is so large it now has difficulty in policing itself.
meekhcs

Postby BrianC48 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:13 am

Hello Sally

I to have had this problem when allowing somebody to have access to my private tree, because of what has happened I have changed my trees to "Private" and will not give permission to anybody also considering whether to renew my subscription in the New Year.

Brian C
BrianC48

Postby g w aldous » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 am

Private data and living relative data is not visable unless you allow access to it. when allowing others to see your tree you should make them aware that information contained in your tree is not for public view BEFORE you allow them to see it.
g w aldous

Postby meekhcs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for your replies and obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

This is the first time I had ever shared my tree. I checked all the blurb and it didn't make it clear that my private info would become public, and this is my real beef.

I hadn't realised that my cousin would not be able to directly lift info from my tree. I would have thought by now that Ancestry would have come up with a programme to enable this. After all if someone shares a private tree with AN INDIVDUAL they are obviously happy to trade info, why else would you open up your tree? Ok my cousin was naughty to lift it in the way he did, and I was naive, but all it needs is a programme whereby info sourced from a private tree remains private, even if it is linked to another tree.How else are we able to expand our trees if we can't share within our Families?
Until this problem is resolved I will not be sharing info again.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby g w aldous » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 pm

possibly the only way of doing it is to have 2 trees on ancestry 1 with and 1 without the sensitive materiel,
could solve the problem then you only give access to the one without.
g w aldous

Postby ray1dunn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I also have seen information 'shared' and have upset a couple of people by , now,refusing to let anyone view my tree.
When The Genealogist started their trees they did not show either notes or pictures to anyone to whom you wished to share but, as sites get more 'sophisticated' (sic) it seems to be more and more difficult to protect research.
I then put my online tree on GenesReunited instead of Ancestry and Genealogist as less info gets shared (though, for a long time, the default when you emailed people to ask for info was to automatically tick the box that showed them your tree. I lost count of the people I emailed back because their home person was them and they had put in their date and place of birth and, of course, such other items as Mothers Maiden name, without remembering to tick the box for privacy for living relatives.
Genes's latest 'bright idea' is a Keepsafe which brings together ALL your pictures on one page and allows you to search for everybody elses pictures. The initial default seems to be no protection and I am not satisfied (as I have told them) that the box to tick to protect you pictures is obvious enough!
Ray
ray1dunn

Postby meekhcs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:39 pm

G W Aldous that is exactly what I am doing, but it is taking a while!
meekhcs

Postby g w aldous » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

easiest way I found is to make a gedcom of your tree on ancestry, then import to FTM if you have it, then remove anyone born in the last one hundred years so born after 1912, then make a new gedcom with a new name and import to ancestry as a new tree. it should give you a tree with no pictures or living relatives.
g w aldous

Next

Return to Genealogy chat