Moderator Control Panel ]

British Consul Staff

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

British Consul Staff

Postby joeyfran » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I am trying to find records of Thomas Fuller who was the British consul to Acapulco in the 1850s. I have 2 photographs of him (and many of unknown Mexicans) but no other details and cannot find him in any census records - the name Fuller being so common. I hope someone can help me as this may knock down some other "brick walls".
joeyfran

Re: British Consul Staff

Postby leslam » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:23 pm

I'll be interested to know if there is a way of tracking British Consuls. I have one in my research and similarly, I can't find anything.
leslam

Postby junkers » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Try The National Archives, Kew, as there may be references in the FO (Foreign Office) series and other indexes and also Treasury (T 1 series). The Imperial Gazette should also gives dates of their appointment.
junkers

Postby joeyfran » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I find TNA a bit of a labyrinth but they did mention a publication called the Foreign Office List available at a few libraries. Looks like I need a trip to London.
joeyfran

Postby junkers » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

TNA can be difficult to find what you want, there is so much there. They do, I am sure have the Foreign Office List on their open shelves. They do also have an afternoon opnline query site which you can ask for the information and they or their Foreign/Diplomatic records expert may be able to help.
junkers

Postby leslam » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Thank you for that information, junkers. I'll have to give it a go.
leslam

Postby Bonsaman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:10 pm

I work for the FCO and we still have some old copies of the Diplomatic and Consular list - though none going back to the 1850s. A quick Google Books search, however, turned up various references to Frank and Thomas Fuller (father and son) in "British activities in California and the Pacific coast of North America to 1860" (full reference at the bottom). I managed with a bit of patience to extract the following:

"The Fuller Case: Fuller was a British Consular Agent at Acapulco. He was induced to go to Acapulco upon assurances that he would ultimately be appointed Vice Consul. He has been carrying on the duties there since February. By H.M.'s appointing Wilthew as Consul, Fuller ceases. At the time I announced Fuller's appointment it was absolutely necessary to have someone go down to Acapulco to protect British interests, as from the gold discoveries in California steamers were calling three times a month at that port and coal and other vessels were going there. The town is small and unhealthy; up to that time Acapulco was commercially unimportant; it was difficult to get anyone to accept appointment. Mr. Baker was named but refused to go. Mr. Fuller agreed; he left the small establishment he had near Mexico and went to Acapulco not to establish himself as a merchant but upon a salary granted him by H. M. Government, adding to it the small means at his disposal. I recommend and wish to compensate him. The charges against Fuller were without foundation."

British activities in California and the Pacific coast of North America to 1860 : an archival calendar guide by​ Abraham P. Nasatir and Gary Elwyn Monell (San Diego State University Press, c1990; ISBN 091630485X) available second hand from the US on Amazon.com
Bonsaman

Postby Bonsaman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

A postscript: by the "Fuller case" I suspect is meant the difficulties Thomas Fuller had in Acapulco following the imprisonment of various British seaman - as reported in the New York Times on 13 September 1852 (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 5F468584F9)
Bonsaman

Postby Bonsaman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:14 pm

And another - Thomas Fuller is recorded in 1861 as having a claim for $8,000 against the Mexican government:

"Mr. Thomas Fuller. — Embargo by General Pueblita in November, 1856, of wagons, mules, and effects belonging to Mr. Fuller's extensive carrying establishment, thereby disabling him from fulfilling a contract with the Real del Monte Mining Company for carrying ore from that company's mines at Pachuca to their ore depot at Real del Monte. The loss of this contract, in itself a most profitable one, is attested by the certificate of the director of the Real del Monte Company. It entailed upon Mr. Fuller very heavy additional expenses, as he had to maintain upwards of one hundred pack-mules without work. Subsequently he was compelled to break up a very profitable carrying business, and sell the mules he was unable to maintain, in consequence of the loss of his contract, for a little more than half their original cost. In fact, this cruel outrage created such an embarrassment in the affairs of Mr. Fuller as to bring him to the verge of ruin, from which he has not recovered, and for which his claim will be very insufficient compensation."
http://archive.org/stream/correspondenc ... 6/mode/1up

and page 237 of http://www.nzibo.com/pdfpapers/thesis.pdf
Bonsaman

Postby Bonsaman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Last one - http://www21.us.archive.org/stream/furt ... 6/mode/2up

No. 101.

Mr. Fuller to Sir J. Pauncefote. — (Received November 29.)

Thatched House Club, St. James 9 Street,
Sir, November 28, 1884.

I HAVE the honour to inclose herewith documents relative to the claim of my late
father, Mr. Thomas Fuller, on the Mexican Government for the embargo of his property
by the troops of General Puablita in the month of November 1857.

I have, &c.
(Signed) THOS. FULLER.

No. 103.
Mr. Lister to Mr. Fuller.

Sir, Foreign Office, December 4, 1884.

YOUR letter of the 28th ultimo, with its inclosures, respecting your claim against
the Mexican Government, has been laid before Earl Granville.

In returning you these inclosures I am directed by his Lordship to state to you that
inquiries will be made respecting the investigation which is to be instituted into British
claims against that country, under the Preliminary Agreement signed at Mexico on the
6th August last ; and that, as soon as Her Majesty's Government are informed as to the
time when, and the manner in which, the Mexican Government purpose that the investi-
gation shall take place, a notice of the arrangements decided on will be inserted in the
u London Gazette. "

I am to forward herewith, for your information, a copy of the papers on the subject
which have been laid before Parliament this Session.*

I am, &c.
(Signed) T. V. LISTER.
Bonsaman

Next

Return to Genealogy chat