Moderator Control Panel ]

Surrey Rcruitment Registers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Surrey Rcruitment Registers

Postby spaldini » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 am

My grandfather, William Henry GRAY and his brother John are shown in the Surrey Recruitment Registers as attesting in 1915 for service in WW1. Their regiment was shown as Royal Sussex Regiment, Regimental numbers 56037 and 56033 respectively. They were both married men so were not called up immediately. The family story is that William was called up in 1917 and fought at the Battle of Cambrai. MY problem is that I cannot find a WW1 medal card for either of the men.

Is it possible that although at their attestation they were appointed to the Royal Sussex Regiment when they were eventually called up they were attched to a different regiment and if so how can I find out
spaldini

Re: Surrey Rcruitment Registers

Postby junkers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am

It looks like they did not serve in the Royal Sussex Regiment and may have transferred elsewhere but the medal cards often don't have the full names on them which is not useful. Have you looked to see if the Royal Sussex were at Cambrai at that time? and the regimental museum might also be able to help.
junkers

Re: Surrey Rcruitment Registers

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:50 am

Hi,

The numbers given in the Surrey Recruitment Registers are recruitment numbers , not regimental numbers so you shouldn't dismiss entries in the Medal Rolls because you can't find those numbers.If you look up Cambrai on the Long , Long Trail website you will find that the Royal Sussex were there
so William Henry Gray may have served with the Regiment at Cambrai :

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat21.htm
ColinB

Return to Military help