Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users
Post a reply

Navy uniform?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi

Can anyone help with identifying the badges on my great uncles uniform? I'm particualrly stuck on the insignia on his right arm (left in the picture). I think the 2 chevrons are for 8 years service and I'm assuming the 3 medals are star, victory and war medals.

Thanks

Nigel

Re: Navy uniform?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:40 pm

the badge on his right arm is a RN Rangetakers badge, he would have used equipment to find the range of the target for the guns..

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks for your help, at least I know where to start looking

N

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:25 am

Hello,
I've just received my WDYTYA magazine and saw your Forum query mentioned in the magazine. I have a distant relative who has a canny resemblance to the one in your photo. His name was Stanley Gerrard Hughes. I would attch my photo, but a message says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.". He too was at hs own wedding in about 1942.
Paul.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for replying to my Forum query, unfortunatly this has mislabelled in the magazine as a WW2 picture. I believe it was taken after WW1 in the 1920/30's based on the dress of the rest of the people in the picture

My great Uncle was James Evans and my great Aunt (the older lady sat down on the left of the picture) was Grace Moody.

Here is the whole picture

James Evans wedding by nijonline, on Flickr

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Nigel,
Many thanks for the info.
Paul.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:53 am

its deffo post war as he has all his medals, also its a good bet he was in the navy before the war started as he has the star.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm

I agree mostly with previous answers however there are a couple of things

The 'star' medal was awarded up to 1916 for service overseas so he may not have joined up prior to the start of the Great War, but would indicate he served overseas

The chevrons on his arms are for good conduct which does relate to periods of service
http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritish-Ranks.htm

If I read the thread correctly his name was James Evans and there is a medal card for James Evans Royal Navy 162019

I suggest you also check the local paper for where he lived as this can sometimes provide good leads.

Do let us know what you eventually find

David
Basingstoke,Hampshire
Post a reply