Moderator Control Panel ]

Edward Jack LILLEY - Regiment Help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Edward Jack LILLEY - Regiment Help

Postby eurogordi » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm trying to identify the uniform being worn in this family photograph by Edward John LILLEY. He was born in Highcliffe, Hampshire (now Dorset) in 1886 and saw active service in WWI. Any help in locating online records relating to his military career would also be appreciated.
Attachments
1917c LILLEY group.jpg
1917c LILLEY group.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
eurogordi

Re: Edward Jack LILLEY - Regiment Help

Postby Sylcec » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:21 pm

There are no WWI service records or pension records on Ancestry for an Edward J Lilley. Looking at the Medal Index Cards, there are several for an Edward Lilley, and two with the middle initial J.

Edward J Lilley, Royal Berks Regt, Pte., No. 25000; transfers to the Labour Corps, No. 95652. He received just the British War and Victory Medals, which suggests that he didn't see overseas service in 1914 or 1915.

Edward J Lilley, Pte, Machine Gun Corps, No. 136836. He also received just the British War and Victory Medals.

Someone else may be able to link his uniform shown in the photo with one of the above.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby eurogordi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for this. I'll do some research into the regiments to see if I can identify uniforms, but hopefully someone else reading this might already have that information.
eurogordi

Postby g w aldous » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 am

its a standard service dress uniform from ww1, the only distinctive thing is the lanyard, these were usually
worn by artillery with a key for the shells fuses on the end, but not exclusively.
if you can see better on the shoulder there is a unit name but I cant make out what it is..
g w aldous

Return to Photo identification