Moderator Control Panel ]

Help finding G-grandfather - ROBERT HAROLD LAKE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help finding G-grandfather - ROBERT HAROLD LAKE

Postby cllake73 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 am

Desperate to find information on my GGF who came from England, to Australia, sometime around the 1900s. His name was Harold Robert Lake and went by the nickname of "Harry".

On his newspaper death notice, from 1917, it stated that he had relatives residing in England, was educated at Canterbury College and was about 33-34 years old when he passed away.

That makes him born about 1885.

Believe he travelled to South Australia and then lived in the mining fields in the Northern Territory. I also believe he had relatives or distant family in Sth Aust.

I've hit a lot of brick walls and am desperate to find any information on him, his family or where he came from.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need a photograph of him or have any questions.
Last edited by cllake73 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
cllake73

Re: Help finding G-grandfather - Harold Robert LAKE

Postby Sylcec » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:03 am

I am having trouble replicating your finding of a death notice for Harold Lake in 1917 using Trove, so am unclear whether your grandfather died in S.A. the NT, or elsewhere in Australia, or in WWI on the fields of battle. If the latter, then finding his army service record may be productive. If he died in Australia then I strongly advise you to purchase a copy of his death certificate.
Sylcec

Re: Help finding G-grandfather - Harold Robert LAKE

Postby g w aldous » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:44 am

The only close match I have is Harold Harris Lake born in hampshire 1883, His mother is from petham canterbury and on the 1891 & 01 census he is at petham and blean also near canterbury, he is a scholar in 1891 & a school teacher in 1901.
g w aldous

Re: Help finding G-grandfather - ROBERT HAROLD LAKE

Postby cllake73 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am

Thanks so much for your replies.

Firstly my apologies, his name was ROBERT HAROLD LAKE. Aka "Harry". He often went in documents as "R.H. Lake" too.

One notice in the NT Times and Gazette newspaper (in Trove) is 30 August 1919 and it's found with the search of "robert harold lake arltunga canterbury". This is a notice by the Inspector of Police, trying to find information on a number of men who have deceased, and has a description of what he looked like, including the details above. He died at Arltunga in NT.

I've tried the NT Historical Society for lone graves or any records but no information found.

I have his 1918 NT death certificate and it notes that his birthplace was Kent, England but I have no confirmation of this. There is no other information on it apart from the way he died (gunshot wound). He lived at Paddy's Hole at the Arltunga Mining Site near Alice Springs. This was his mining/home site. He did some work in the general store. There is no parents listed, no family or any date for arriving in Australia.

I have tried contacting the Kent Family History Society but there was no luck there. The Canterbury College in Kent apparently was not in existence before 1949 when Harry Lake would have gone there. I calculate him being there before 1900 and coming to Australia (SA) quite young. There was an earlier Canterbury College in Oxford originally founded by Christchurch Canterbury but I have difficulty in finding any resources there that could help me. I have tried contacting a couple of Historical Societies there but to no avail.

I've also had a researcher search the shipping lists in South Australia but no luck there either.

Does anyone know of any Research places for the Canterbury College in Oxford that may help that may have students lists?

Or what an Emigration Shipping List contact would be for departures from England before 1900?

Thanks again.
cllake73

Postby junkers » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Have you looked on findmypast which has the British out-passenger lists and he should (unless he was in the armed forces) be on the lists. I find it strange that he is not on the censuses at all and it is possible that he has changed his name en route, which is not unknown.
junkers

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,

I've been looking through the Passenger Lists on FMP. There is no Robert Lake or Robert Harold Lake b 1883 +- 5 travelling to Australia between 1900 and 1918. Searching for Lake without a first name or initial brings up a few results but the details on the images rule those out. Broadening the search to include 1890 to 1900 doesn't bring up anything either. I have found one record for R H Lake b 1884 , farmer , travelling from London to New Zealand 12 Jun 1907. I suppose it's possible that it's him but doesn't seem very likely !

Colin
ColinB

Postby isobelc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Ancestry shows an R H Lake arriving in Albany on a ship from Sydney in 1904. He was English but no age given unfortunately.
Isobel
isobelc

Postby Sylcec » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:44 am

It looks as if R H Lake probably purchased or leased his property at Arltunga in early 1914 as he first appears in an advertisement on 2 April 1914
NOTICE.
ALL Persons are hereby cautioned from allowing their stock to trespass, from travelling stock with- out notice, also from in any way inter- fering with , or removing stock with- out authority, on any portion of the land described in plan below and marked x, etc., which includes places known as Hele Soakages, Goat Camp, Saw-pit, and portions of the Winnecke Plain, owned, or leased, and occupied by me, from this date will be prosecutcd.
( 300 sq. miles )
X Block 1
W. Hayes & Sons
X
R. H. LAKE.
Arltunga, 5.1.14. '
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:02 am

Now found that he was clearly at Arltunga long before 1914 - a search for "r h lake" across South Australian and West Australian papers brings up several entries in S.A. referring to him at Arltunga, some unfortunately labelled "coming soon" so need to refer back to Trove in a while:
There are several early entries about an R H Lake involved in road cycling races from about 1903 in South Australia - could this possibly be the same man?

18 July 1908 - suggests that he was involved in ? gold exploration or ? cyanide works at Arltunga
New Venture (R. H. Lake).-Net weight. 4 tons 10 cwt. Gold recovered by battery 4 dwt. 12 gr..
valued at 14/9, the average extraction per ton being 1 dwt. 8gr. This was alluvial material.

Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby cllake73 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 am

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it so much.

Yes, that is he. I found a record of him having issues with sheep entering his land in Arltunga. And an legal issue where he gave local Aboriginal people prohibited alcohol. He worked at the General Store in Arltunga for a while too, I understand.

The solicitor's names (Messrs. H. J. Cowan, John Hayes, and M.C. Dowdy)that assisted him with both those cases are hard to find records on. I have tried the SA Library but they didn't seem to hold any unfortunately.

I have found one record dating 1901 so I believe he came to Australia before then. And yes, you are right, he could have changed his name along the way. He has an air of mystery about him so quite possible.

There was a rumour that he went to WW1 but I could find no record of his service and no stories of him going so not sure it that was true.

And yes, I believe it is the same man in the cycling reports. There was a shooting competition in the newspapers (from Trove) too that I found and I believe it is him. There just didnt seem to be many RH Lake's in that time, so I took it to be him.

The Albany ship lead many be worth me checking out. The dates dont match with the one 1901 record I found but if I can trace this person back, it might give me something, or at least I can rule this person out if its not him. Thank you!

I'm grateful that the SA Library had a photograph of him, with a group of men, in Arltunga. He looks very much like his Grandson, my Uncle.

Thanks again everyone, you are all giving me good leads and information. It's very helpful.
cllake73

Next

Return to General research queries