Moderator Control Panel ]

Help finding G-grandfather - ROBERT HAROLD LAKE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Help finding G-grandfather - ROBERT HAROLD LAKE

Postby clarksclerks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:08 am

Going back to his early days in England, I wonder if 'Canterbury College' was, in fact, Kings School Canterbury? This is a prestigious private (fee paying) school established long ago and still in operation http://www.kings-school.co.uk/document_ ... id=1:31637

They have an archives section.
Petham and Blean were small villages close to Canterbury and are probably outer suburbs by now!

Best wishes
clarksclerks

Postby cllake73 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 am

I will definitely contact Kings College and see if they have any enrolment lists from late 1800s. They seem to have some registers available so it is a great lead.

I am just about to send an email to the School Archivist now.

Thanks very much!!
cllake73

Postby cllake73 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:00 am

Doesn't look as though he went to Kimgs School but they suggested Kent College.

Have contacted them but no reply yet.

Cheers
cllake73

Postby Frances Lake » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:18 pm

I have just come a cross your entry for Robert Harold Lake of Kent. As it is quite old, I am sending this as a test reply. I am interested in the Lake Families of Kent and have done quite a lot of research on them, however, do not currently have a Robert Harold Lake on my tree. If you would like to chat about the Lakes, I would be very happy to hear from you.
Frances Lake

Postby MoVidger » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Just in case the OP returns to this 2012 thread:

I note from the 1918 newspaper "obit" that RH Lake sadly took his own life. The reason for this may lie in a newspaper blurb from The Chronicle (Adelaide) 10 May 1913:

"Travelling to the Doctor" - Mr R H Lake of Arltunga, was brought in here a few days ago by Mr T Cleary almost blind. He contracted an eye disease a few months ago, and gradually grew worse. Fearing the loss of his eyesight, he came to Alice Springs to get medical advice. Dr Hamilton advised him to go to Adelaide to have his eyes attended to, as it was difficult to give proper advice so far away".

He is also briefly mentioned in this online thesis about Alice Springs (see page 42):

https://www.deakin.edu.au/__data/assets ... esisS3.pdf
MoVidger

Postby cllake73 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate you have taken the time to reply and I am really excited with this information. I never knew that he was part of this thesis and gave this testimony as part of this case. I will definitely see if I can find court records to see if there is anything there. I did think it was a possibility that if he had trouble with his eyes, that he may have ended thing because it would have been extremely difficult in those days in that environment to continue on with bad eye sight. Again, thanks so much.

MoVidger wrote:Just in case the OP returns to this 2012 thread:

I note from the 1918 newspaper "obit" that RH Lake sadly took his own life. The reason for this may lie in a newspaper blurb from The Chronicle (Adelaide) 10 May 1913:

"Travelling to the Doctor" - Mr R H Lake of Arltunga, was brought in here a few days ago by Mr T Cleary almost blind. He contracted an eye disease a few months ago, and gradually grew worse. Fearing the loss of his eyesight, he came to Alice Springs to get medical advice. Dr Hamilton advised him to go to Adelaide to have his eyes attended to, as it was difficult to give proper advice so far away".

He is also briefly mentioned in this online thesis about Alice Springs (see page 42):

https://www.deakin.edu.au/__data/assets ... esisS3.pdf
cllake73

Previous

Return to General research queries