Moderator Control Panel ]

William Roache's episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

William Roache's episode

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am

Hello everyone,

William Roache aka Coronation Street's Ken Barlow is up next! The actor explores his family's roots in some of the North's most popular tourist attractions and finds out some uncomfortable truths about his maternal grandfather.

Watch the episode on Wednesday evening (9pm, BBC One) and post your reactions below...

All the best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: William Roache's episode

Postby jkk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 am

This was a very good episode. It's fascinating to watch how the stories are constructed; one is a history lesson, another contrasts the person you knew with the same individual in different situations that you didn't know, another is "how far back in history can we go ..." This one was structured as a detective story, and it worked very well. Add the incongruousness of being a detective in places of extreme leisure (Alton Towers and Blackpool) and it ended up being a very good programme indeed.

I won't comment on any individual moments in case it spoils things for people who haven't seen the episode yet. I did like Bill's modesty, though; he came across as such an ordinary likeable guy, but his passing comment that "I've never been to Blackpool on holiday, though I have been asked to turn on the illuminations a couple of times" suddenly reminded you that you were dealing with a celebrity here.

Well done.
jkk

NOT REQUIRED

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:02 am

I thought is was a very good episode and the hour went quickly. I feel that there is yet another story concerning William Roach's grandmother just waiting to be told and wish it had gone back through her own line.
Kay
Last edited by KayFarndon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayFarndon

Postby callbrian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

Certainly better than expected.
The series seems to improve as it goes on.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Pantgwyn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

I loved the final ten minutes or so, when they were searching for particular family members on the 1901 census! A great illustration of how gripping this sort of research can be ...
Pantgwyn

Postby Editor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I have to say I think this is a fantastic series.

I agree, it is very clear that each episode has a 'purpose', but I like that. You can't do everything in just an hour so I like the way each episode shows a different approach to family history, or at least a different goal that research can achieve.

I had to swallow back a tear when he said something like 'I think I love my mum more now and I wish I could tell her' but there was no wallowing in sentimentality. After each episode of this series I've been thinking 'they would be fantastic to have at WDYTYA? Live' and I don't always think that. I can't wait for the next episode.
Editor
Site Admin

Postby simonjary » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:19 pm

It would have been interesting to know how the family was reunited. We saw them together in a photo but only heard how they got separated.

How were the sisters reunited? Did I miss that part?
simonjary

Postby penbex86 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Could you clarify something for me about last nights episode. Somebody on the Ancestry.co.uk facebook page mentioned that the say Williams Roache's father being called Charles Glover and I had to look into it.

Re-watching on iPlayer and pausing at 22:16 the Father of William Roache was William Henry Roache (deceased) Doctor. Then at 23:00 it says the father is Charles Glover - licensed victualler... Clearly two separate marriage certificates but why? ... The residence at time of marriage on the first certificate is Rutland House for William and Alton Towers for Hester .... but the second one states (possibly) Uttoxeter and Alton?... Can you explain the anomalies?
penbex86

Postby myrtlebird8 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:13 am

I would imagine one of the other sisters married a Mr Glover and they've cut out the bit where the second certificate is produced.
myrtlebird8

Postby myrtlebird8 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:45 am

Just watched the programme again. I guess another reason why the younger children didn't live with their parents may have been that Zillah was busy running the shop. It would have to be in Albert's name, presumably, because the married women's property act hadn't been passed yet, but if Albert was as poor a character as the programme made out, it must have been Zillah who mde a go of the business and made enough money to buy the lease at Alton Towers in the 20's. So there could have been practical reasons as well as the need to keep the children safe.
myrtlebird8

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012