Moderator Control Panel ]

Who owned this medal?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Who owned this medal?

Postby Dagwood » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Sorting through some old effects of my late father I came across a WW1 Victory medal awarded to :
934 SPR T.STEVENSON R.E.
The medal is not connected to any of my family and I can only assume my father found it.
I have looked at the Long Long Trail and also Ancestry but seem unable to find this T.Stevenson .
It's nice to see that a sapper with such an early number survived to get a 1914-19 medal. What would really make my day is to find his family and reunite them with it.
Can anyone help identify him and point me in the direction of his enlistment and war record?
Many thanks
Dagwood
Dagwood

Re: Who owned this medal?

Postby ColinB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:26 pm

So far I've only managed to find his medal card. If you search the Medal Rolls on Ancestry , just putting in his surname and Service number 934 , he comes up as Tom Stevenson Sapper RE.

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm

There are two sets of records on ancestry in the name of Tom Stevenson, one from Sheffield and one born at Kirkdale near Liverpool, did your father have a connection to either place?

Neither of these men is shown as joining the Royal Engineers but the chap from Liverpool who joined the 5th battalion The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) at the age of 19yrs 6 months on 1st March 1910 had the number 489 crossed out on the attestion paper. He could have transferred to the Royal Engineers at the outbreak of WW1 but his new number is not shown on this document. There is an official stamp showing he was awarded the British War and Victory Medals and another which appears to state that he was discharged from ?????? Barracks Preston 5 Jan 1921.

Rita
ritah

Postby Dagwood » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 am

Ritah and Colin thanks for your replies. The medal roll tells me he served in Egypt but I have not got any further. My father did not have any connections to either place and I am pretty certain the medal must have been found or given to him .
I'll keep looking but thanks for your suggestions,
Dagwood
Dagwood

Return to Military help