Moderator Control Panel ]

Can You Date this photo and identify the Lapel badge?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can You Date this photo and identify the Lapel badge?

Postby peanrama » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello,
My late maternal grandfather, George Graham Morris (1919-1979), had this photocard passed onto him and in 1973 he wrote on the back "My father's brother Tom Morris who died approx 1910 en route to Australia age approx 25 years. This photo must have been taken about 1908".

It's a bit of a family mystery, so the questions I would like to be answered, if possible are:
1. They are all dressed in similar attire with a 'three legged' lapel badge. Would you have any idea what the badges are? I can't find any reference online.
2. What actual date was this photo taken?
3. Tom Morris is the man in the centre of the photo, he was born in 1879 in Chase Terrace, Staffordshire - I can't find any record of this death. How would I go about finding out how he died?
Attachments
close up.jpg
close up.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
tom morris.jpg
tom morris.jpg (223.54 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
peanrama

Re: Can You Date this photo and identify the Lapel badge?

Postby ColinB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:18 am

Hi,

The badge appears to be the three legged emblem of the Isle of Man - do you know of a connection with the island ?

Colin
ColinB

Postby peanrama » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 am

Thank you ColinB for your reply, since my initial posting on the blog I've been fortunate enough to have the picture published in the Picture Analysis Q&A section of Who Do You Think You Are magazine 66 - November 2012, page 43.

What I would really like now is to find the record of his death - I can't find any details at all. I'm not sure if he died en route to Australia or died before in the UK or after in Australia. Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks very much.
peanrama

Postby phsvm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:42 pm

So have you identified what the badge was for? it would be interesting to know.
phsvm

Return to Photo identification