Moderator Control Panel ]

Home Guard records

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Home Guard records

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 pm

With regard to the article on your website could I point out that the Home Guard records are not freely available as a number of the individuals (about half of the collection) are still likely to be alive and the Data Protection Act applies. Therefore a 100-year closure from their date of birth has been applied by The National Archives (TNA). In such cases a Freedom of Information request with proof (death certificate) is required to be sent to TNA to prove that the person concerned was dead or that you were that person.
junkers

Re: Home Guard records

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks for correctly pointing this out. The article on our website is actually an abridged version of a news story that appears in our upcoming November issue, which does actually go on to state that this is the case.

Sincere apologies to anyone else that found this misleading - I will amend the article accordingly.

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Home Guard records

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 pm

I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Magazine chat