Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here
Post a reply

Royal Army Medical Core

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 pm

I have just managed to find out what service my granddad served in during WW2. On my nans death certificate (1944) he is down as a Corporal in the R.A.M.C, I believe this stands for Royal Army Medical Core. In brackets it says clerk.

Can any tell me what his roll might have been, as far as I know he had no medical knowledge and he never talked about the war.


Re: Royal Army Medical Core

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 am

The RAMC was the Royal Army Medical Corps and as he was a clerk he may been dealing with administrative affairs liking a reception officer in the NHS today registering details and which itself was important. He may have been attached to one of the large army hospitals. You can for a fee get details of your father's service from the Ministry of Defence which should show what he did and where which may be relevant.
Post a reply