Moderator Control Panel ]

Who would you like to see next?

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Who would you like to see next?

Postby pentre » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:40 pm

I don't know how far the next series of WDYTYA? has progressed, but I was trying to imagine who or what I would pick to be researched if I were in charge.

Personally, I'd like to see how professional genealogists manage to tackle the sort of brick walls that defeat most of us - for instance, what do you do if all your lines end in illegitimacy? I'd like to see a programme where the use of bastardy bonds or those kirk sessions (in Scotland) can reveal the names of wayward fathers. How do I find this information? What about an adopted person - how would they go about finding their birth parents? Or (in my case) a great-grandfather with a foreign name who left no clue as to his origins.

I'd like to see the occasional politician too - maybe if some of them were brought to face their own roots they may see things differently. I think the series does a good job of mixing the wealthy with the poor, and the English and the foreign origins, but my only criticism is it all looks too easy. For the next series I'd like to see family trees that really challenge the experts and perhaps show the rest of new ways of finding answers to our mystery ancestors.

What do other people think? Who would you like to see researched next time?
pentre
pentre

RE: Who would you like to see next?

Postby margaretabram » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:10 pm

I agree totally with the above comments. I would also like to see a few non-celebs in the mix. How about a competetion for one male and one female reader to get the same treatment? Surely not all famous people have interesting ancestors. I know it is facinating to see what went into their genes to see what influence inheritance had on their becoming well known. Perhaps a reversal would be interesting. Someone who thinks they are descended from a famous person in history to see if that has had a bearing on their lives. One famous ancestor need not make a programme boring, as there are all the rest to check out.

Mags
Mags
margaretabram

Postby pentre » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:30 pm

[quote]How about a competetion for one male and one female reader to get the same treatment?[/quote]

I think that's a brilliant idea, and would really catch on. I came from what I always thought was a boring family, but have found an attempted murder, a child thief, prostitution, two ancestors transported to Australia, and countless mysteries. I'm sure a lot of other readers would have colourful ancestors if they were chosen. It would also encourage non-genealogists to start looking at their own trees. It sounds like a winner to me.
pentre
pentre

Postby Liz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:03 am

I'd like to see a programme that also deals with the 'normal' families, a large amount of my predecessors are listed as 'Ag Labs', I know this means working on the land but there must be a massive variety of roles within the 'Ag Labs'.

Also a programme that deals with the lesser able members of society - perhaps someone famous who had a ancestor listed as a 'lunatic' or 'idiot',

in Dorset but from Warwickshire
Liz

Postby pentre » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:03 am

I agree wholeheartedly about the 'lunatics'. I acquired the medical records of my great-great-uncle who died in N Yorks Lunatic Asylum. It turns out his 'lunacy' was actually epilepsy, which seems to have started in adulthood. Reading the barbaric 'treatment' he had been given was stomach-churning. One of my great-great-grandmothers also died in an asylum, with 'dementia', but her records were missing, so no clues there.

I also found a 12 year old relative in Doncaster gaol for stealing a dress.

Our ancestors (if we came from humble stock) lived hard lives. As you say, it would be great to see a programme about them.
pentre
pentre

Postby silvery » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:36 am

Didn't John Hurt think he had a famous ancestor? And it was one of the worst shows ever, starting with hearsay, and talking to family right at the end. Hardly anyone seemed to like it.
silvery

Postby pentre » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:36 am

I think John Hurt got a bad press undeservedly on that programme. I got the feeling his real disappointment came from finding he didn't have Irish connections - not specifically the famous ones. I think we're all a bit guilty of slightly Romanticising our history - I feel quite proud of my Scottish grandparents, my husband of his Welsh ones - though really neither of us could truly describe ourselves as Scottish or Welsh! I have an aunt who was convinced her great-grandmother was Spanish (hence her own olive colouring) but although I searched and searched I couldn't find anyone who was anything but pure English in her ancestry. She was as disappointed as John Hurt, to have her dreams shattered!

My worst 'Who do you think' programme was Nigella. She was so ungracious towards the historian who found her 'convict' ancestor - she didn't even say thank you to him. How many of us would give anything to have something like that handed to us on a plate?

I think we need a new series - hopefully with a different spread of ancestries.

pentre
pentre

Postby Luchon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 pm

In the last magazine edition you mentioned that WDYTYA TV programme had been taken up by other countries. I would really like to see one or two of these - particularly France, Poland and Germany - insight into recent 20th century events and their impact on individual families would be fascinating- and seen from a different perspective to our own.

Luchon

Postby Broadsword » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

I know you can see clips of the Australian and Canadian versions online.

Australia - http://programs.sbs.com.au/whodoyouthinkyouare/

Canada - http://www.cbc.ca/whodoyouthinkyouare/
Broadsword

Postby RichardCrane » Fri May 16, 2008 6:03 pm

I would like to see the TV and radio presenter Andy Crane (real name Howard Andrew Crane) given the chance to research his family history because he's related to my family! He's my father's second cousin, and I have drawn out the family tree of the Cranes; we just need the link to Andy Crane to comfirm that he's related to us.

So, BBC will you please get Andy Crane (the former childrens television presenter) on Who Do You Think You Are?

Richard Crane
RichardCrane

Next

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat