Moderator Control Panel ]

Royal Engineers Location & Date

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Royal Engineers Location & Date

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:42 pm

My grandfather Wilfred Waller (second row from back, centre of doors) was in the Royal Engineers during and after the First World War. I know he served in France in 1915 and in the mid to late 1920s he was stationed in Hong Kong and Abbassia, Egypt. I would like to know where the photo was taken and, if possible, the date. Many thanks, Mike
The attachment Royal Engineers.jpg is no longer available
Wilfred Waller.jpg
Wilfred Waller.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Last edited by Mike on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Re: Royal Engineers Location & Date

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I think I may have answered my own question! Looking more closely at the original photo, many of the cap badges are of the Royal Army Medical Corps. This reminded me that my grandfather (although not in the RAMC himself) had lived in Netley near Southampton at one time and, in fact, returned there from Egypt to convalesce after contracting TB in 1931. The building looks very much like the huge former Royal Victoria Military Hospital at Netley. Could anyone confirm this please, Mike
Mike

Postby ritah » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello Mike

I think you are right. Have a look at www.qaranc.co.uk which gives some distant pictures and interesting background info on the hospital. However if you look at google images for the hospital and look at the one related to roll of honour.com this shows a good view of the hospital frontage and looks very much like the background in your photo.

Rita
ritah

Postby Millst » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Just a thought, but almost all of them are wearing a row of medals. If you can find out what date got the medals that might narrow it down a bit. The regiment, Ancestry or National Archives might give you the answer.
Millst

Return to Photo identification