Moderator Control Panel ]

William Walter Wallis Military Service Records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

William Walter Wallis Military Service Records

Postby LINDAWALLIS31 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Help!

I've hit a brick wall trying to find the service records for my Great Grandfather, William Walter Wallis.

He was born William Walter Wallis in 1856 in Bury St Edmunds. By 1881, he was a Gunner in The Royal Artillery at No: 1 Barracks, Woolwich Dockyard, listed as just Walter Wallis.

From 1891 to 1911, he was working in the Building Works Depot, Royal Arsenal as a Stoker/Driver Locomotive!

I cannot find his service records anywhere and the MOD say they have no trace of him working at the Arsenal (not surprising as the records have been schlepped from Woolwich to Wales to Bicester and god knows where they are now...if they haven't been destroyed already!)

Any ideas anyone?

Linda Wallis
LINDAWALLIS31

Re: William Walter Wallis Military Service Records

Postby DavidG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Linda,

There's a record a William Wallis born Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire abt 1857 on Ancestry.

It shows him enlisting in the Artillery 19th Feb 1876 in Peterborough age 19 yrs 8 mths.

Is this your man? There's not much information I'm afraid but it's a starting point.

David
DavidG

Return to Military help