Moderator Control Panel ]

George James Maguire, cricket bat maker

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George James Maguire, cricket bat maker

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm

My ancestor George James Maguire was born c. 1826, in either Walworth or Camberwell, Surrey, according to his census entries. I have not been able to find his baptism record, nor any record of potential siblings or parents.
On the 1841 census he is known as James Maguire and is an apprentice cricket bat maker, living with the Page family of cricket bat makers in Lambeth, Surrey. I cannot find him on the 1851 or 1861 censuses.
On the 1871 census he is known as George Maguire and is an ivory turner, the lodger of widow Harriet Baker (nee Bacon), living in Hackney, Middx. Their daughter Louisa Harriet Maguire was born in June 1872, followed by George James Cobbett Maguire in 1874 and Andrew Thomas Page Maguire in 1878. Harriett's surname on all three birth certificates is 'Maguire', although I cannot find a marriage record for her and George James. Louisa Harriet was baptised at Hackney in 1873, then in 1883 she was baptised again, together with her brothers, at Stepney.
George James (senior) was back to being a cricket bat maker on the 1881 census and at his childrens' baptisms in 1883. My theory is that he gave the name "Page" to Andrew because he learnt his trade as an apprentice of the Page family. "Cobbett" was also a cricket bat manufacturer, located near to Lords cricket ground in north London. My theory is that George James (senior) was also employed by Cobbett at some time. He died in 1898 at Mile End.
I would like to find out where George James Maguire was between the years 1841 to 1871 - could he have been abroad? I have not been able to find military records for him. I have tried countless name spelling combinations in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, as well as in the London and Surrey baptism records, without success. I have searched these censuses for "all" cricket bat makers and associated skills, eg twine spinners, quilt winders, pod shavers, without success. I have researched other employees of the Page and Cobbett manufacturies through the census, to see if George James is with them under a different name - without success. I also wonder why he didn't marry Harriett - was he already married and if so, recorded under which surname?
I would be grateful for any suggestions for further research.
Michele

Re: George James Maguire, cricket bat maker

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 am

Like you I am not yet making much progress in finding George James Maguire's baptism, or on censuses. However, I do have a comment on his age and probable year of birth. This seems to vary by 10 or more years through 1841, 1881 and 1891. Noting that in 1841 the census enumerators were required to round down all adult ages over 15 to the nearest 5 (though not all did so), then George James, may in fact have been as much as 19, and hence born about 1821 or 1822. This would correspond with his age shown as 70 in 1891, though 10 years out from that shown in 1881. Take your pick!

Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 am

On his death certificate (1898), George James' age is given as 67 - suggesting a birth date of 1831! I think his age at death is understated, as if true he would have been just 9 or 10 years old for the 1841 census.
Michele

Postby callbrian » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi Michele,
you didn't say whether you found George in 1891, where he is a wood turner and Harriet is listed as Maguire (wife), also George James (Leather belt cutter) and Andrew Thomas (news agent) sons.
I have failed to find a marriage for them, although the following appears on http://www.freebmd.org
Marriages Jun 1891
Maguire George James St. Saviour 1d 244 there is no Harriet though.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Michele » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Callbrian,
Many thanks for that - I did already have the 1891 census details, just forgot to mention them :oops:
The George James marriage that you found is for George James junior - shame!
Michele

Postby ansellc » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Harriet Baker (nee Bacon) is my great grandmother. I too have never found a marriage for Harriet and George Maguire.

My grandmother told me that Harriet was married three times but I have never found marriages two or three. My grandmother could have been wrong of course!

I wondered if you had got any further with your research?

I have Andrew Thomas as Andrew Thomas Cobbett Maguire. Cobbett were cricket bat makers. Harriet's first husband, Joseph Baker was a cricket bat maker as was George Maguire and a number of the sons.
ansellc

Postby richaldis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:01 am

Have you tried looking for his apprenticeship indenture? This should hopefully give you a better idea of his age.
richaldis

Postby ansellc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 pm

There is an entry in the 1851 census for a William Baker born 1791 Ewhurst, Sussex (assume Ewhurst Green as Ewhurst is in Surrey), and his wife May born 1790 Etchingham. I think that May may be Mary and that these may be the grandparents to Harriet Bacon's first husband. Interestingly, they have a servant living with them called Susannah Page born 1837 Folkington, Sussex. Could she be from the cricket bat making Page family? Still no link to George Maguire though.
ansellc

Return to General research queries