Moderator Control Panel ]

Hugh Dennis's episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

Re: Hugh Dennis's episode

Postby Eileen Forbes » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 am

Like others I found this more of a history lesson than other episodes have been. Having said that I was very interested to learn his grandfather's regiment was responsible for the follow up in the days after 9 April 1917. My Great uncle who enlisted in the Seaforth Highlanders in November 1915 and had been wounded in August 1916 before returning to the front was KIA on 9th April 1917 and is remembered at Highland Cemetery, Roclincourt.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Eileen
Eileen Forbes

Postby jkk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Ummm. This episode had less emotional impact than the others, but it's hard to know why. Is it because Hugh Dennis never got close to crying? If so, I applaud the episode for being genuine. Is it because it didn't go back far enough in history? I think not; Patrick Stewart's episode focussed on even more recent family. Is it because his grandfathers never talked about the war, so there were no surprises? Possibly ... part of the appeal of Patrick's search for his father was the contrast between the man who served admirably in the war and the violent father who returned home. It can't be the lack of a 'working class boy done good/died young' story ... there was one of those.

I think it's perhaps the fact that the horror of World War I, from a genealogical viewpoint, lies in the stories that were not told; in the careers that were never forged; in the children who were never born; in the achievements that were never achieved. It's hard for this vast lack of stories to have the same emotional impact on us as a child who dies in a fire. And yet, in the wider picture, it's a far bigger tragedy for families than a single death can ever be.

Hugh's episode tried to tell the story of the missing stories (note Hugh's final line). I don't think it achieved it perfectly, but well done for trying.
jkk

Postby Loish711 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 pm

I really enjoyed this episode even though I thought I wouldn't after reading some of the reviews on here.Maybe it's because it had connections with my home city but also I felt it brought home to me the futility and brutality of war. It wasn't like an history lesson as someone else stated because usual they deal with facts and events, this showed the emotional scars that war leaves on people. As the last poster said a lot more tragic and widespread in the scheme of things than an individual accident happening to one family.
Loish711

Postby Wrighty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:19 am

I have watched and thoroughly enjoyed every episode from the previous series; however, both Patrick Stewart's and Hugh Dennis's did nothing for me - I think it was all the stuff about the war and the shortage of other relatives that was the problem. I was excited at the beginning of Patrick's programme when I heard his dad came from Mirfield, which is where my ancestors came from, but there was not much reference to this.
Wrighty

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:28 pm

I thought Hugh was interesting & his parents & would have been better to have spent half the programme on the Grandfathers & then moved on - 1 whole hour was far too much - more like a history lesson than a research programme. This should have been on the history channel not WDYTYA.

Great for him to find out what he wanted - but i got fed up with it & my husband fell asleep as he lost interest.

It was all very much of the same old thing again. I do hate it when they stay on 1 person or 1 event all the time & I am now very fed up of hearing the same sort of thing all the time on WW1.

Unlike the majority hardly any of my family were in the War so i have no military interest what so ever.

I would have liked to find out more of his family history.
Tabithabenef

Previous

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012