Moderator Control Panel ]

deciphering army service record help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

deciphering army service record help

Postby JoTolhurst » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm

As a way of helping a pupil understand time and gain a sense of history, I have been doing his family history with him to give a personal connection to the past and an interest in or at least some connection to the work they do in class.

The class is currently working on the First World War and I've managed to find the service record of his granddad's great Uncle, William Adam Jamieson who was a driver in the Army Service Corps. I've managed to decipher quite a bit of the record.
William joined up 26 Oct 1915 and passed his MT test 19 Dec 1915 at Osterley Park. I think he was then in 284 company until 6 Feb 1916 at home before going out to East Africa with 634 company on 7 Feb.
He was admitted to the military hospital in Richmond sometime in 1917 and given leave to visit home 5 Sept 1917 to 15 Sept 1917 but declared fit for duty.
I think he was admitted to hospital in Southport though 17 Sept 1917.
3 June 1918 - 5 June 1918 he was with 6 company on light duties
5 June 1918 to 6 Aug 1918 he was with 7 company 'Reg autus & fatigues'????
10 Aug 1918 to 31 Oct 1918 he was with 613 MT company in Liverpool

On his Protection certificate his unit looks like: 10 Mole Grj asc MT. Can anyone decipher?
Also his medical category is B II, I presume B2. Does anyone know what that meant?

Any help in 'telling the story' would be appreciated.
Jo
JoTolhurst

Re: deciphering army service record help

Postby ColinB » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Jo,

ASC MT is Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport , I think. Here is a page on the Long , Long Trail which details all the ASC companies :

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

and here is a list of the medical categories in 1914 :

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer ... ories.html

I haven't managed to work out ' MOLE' etc yet - will try again in the morning if no one else comes up with the answer .

Colin
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 am

I think ' Reg autus and fatigues' is reg(ular) duties and fatigues. This follows a period of light duties and I suppose implies that he was fit and ready to carry on his normal work.( Fatigues is standard uniform or battledress , I think ).

Still trying with 10 Mole Grj !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ColinB » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 am

It just struck me that mole could be an abbreviation of mobile - they wouldn't use mob because that's the abbreviation for mobilisation. Also I don't think it's Grf looking at the rest of the handwriting on that page. I think the first letter is a and the last might be y, in which case it could be ay , short for auxiliary. 613 company is listed as an auxiliary company on the Long, Long Trail page so that would fit. That would make it 10th Mobile Auxiliary unit - sounds plausible I think.

If no one else has any ideas you could try the Great War Forum:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forum ... hp?act=idx

Colin
ColinB

Postby JoTolhurst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks Colin that certainly makes sense. It looks as if William was injured or ill in East Africa but recovered enough for then driving work at home until the end of the war. Hoping some research on the types of transport William would have been driving may interest my pupil.
Thanks again
Jo
JoTolhurst

Return to Military help