Moderator Control Panel ]

What inspired you to start your research?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

What inspired you to start your research?

Postby Blueglory1505 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

Hi all

My friends and colleagues are all aware that I am a keen genealogist after I rave to them about my latest discovery, but they all say that they find it unsual that at 24 years old this is one of my hobbies.

This got me thinking as to when and why did you guys start doing your research? I'd be interested to hear your stories.

I actually started my research properly at about 19 years old although my Mum and Grandma had been doing it for many years prior to that. I always remember as a child being taken on days out to graveyards with my brother and sister and told who's name to look for. At the time it was a fabulous game and my Mum was always delighted when we found an ancestor, of course now I know we were her minions to help further her research but it must have sowed a seed with me!

Since then, and since more and more records are released online, my enthusiasm for research has come on leaps and bounds and I've managed to get back as far as the late 1500s with one branch!

What are your stories?

Lauren x
Blueglory1505

Re: What inspired you to start your research?

Postby ColinB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:14 pm

We started researching in our early twenties ,in about 1975 , which in those days meant visits to Archives and access to the original parish registers . We began our research by visiting the Parish Church in Woodchurch, Kent where the rather unhelpful Vicar told us we should be looking forward at our age and not wasting our time looking into the past ! We were not deterred - if anything I think this spurred us on !

Colin ( and Christine )
ColinB

Postby ritah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:55 pm

What an interesting question, this thread could go on for a long time!

Rita
Last edited by ritah on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ritah

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 pm

I started when looking at why my grandmother didn't get her equal share of her mother's will in the 1950s, it was a shame my grandmother wasn't alive as I would have liked to know if she knew her father had been previously married and there were two children we never knew existed. The more I looked into the branches of the family the more it became fascinating and annoying (where were these ancestors!). The biggest help was that I have Scottish ancestry on one side and even before computerisation it was still fun going to Edinburgh researching in the Dome Room of the General Register Office. Research was much harder in the past and enjoyable before online indexing and involved visits to a lot of local archives and still does!.
junkers

Postby YveeB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 pm

When my grandmother died my mother and I found many, many letters relating to a property which had been owned by a (relatively) wealthy ancestor. It was left entailed to the eldest sons but my grandfather was advised by his solicitor to break the entail to make it his property. (Sorry if I've misused the legal terminology.)
The process took a period of 13 years and the property was then sold. My grandfather died about 60 years ago and, over the years, the house just became known, within the family, as 'the house in Somerset'. It had been known by two different names and the exact location within the village was never mentioned. Presumably, at the time, the village was small enough and the house large enough not to require a street name.
I was intrigued by the story and started my research mainly to find the property and my interest grew from there.
I did eventually track it down and found it had been divided into several parts. I managed to contact one of the current owners who kindly sent me a photo. I still haven't managed to visit it yet but hope to very soon.
YveeB

Postby Millst » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm

My great aunt was very interested in the family history and had written a short resume of her side (my father's side) of the family. It involved the Napoleonic Wars, India and Ireland as well as her story of being in Russia when the revolution started and having to escape. She used to write to my mother with snippets of information and eventually I just had to find out more.

When I started, it involved the occasional trip up to London or to Kew and was a very slow process but in the last three years I have found out so much more on the internet.

When I get stuck, I turn to my mother's family who came from Yorkshire.
Millst

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18 pm

I was interested in finding out about my dad's family as his grandparents moved from Devon to Hertfordshire at the end of the 19th Century and I wanted to find out why. My great-grandparents were buried in the village where I grew up. Our family had always believed that granddad was born in Devon, however neither he nor any of his siblings were born there. His older sisters, and a brother who died in infancy, were all born in Gloucestershire. Granddad and his brother, plus another brother who died in infancy, were born in Hertfordshire. I eventually discovered that my great-granddad's aunt had moved to Hertfordshire and taken on a farm with her husband. After her husband had died, my great-grandparents moeved from Gloucestershire and great-granddad took over the farm whilst his cousin ran their father's coal and straw merchants business.

I have since found out a lot more about my paternal ancestors and have also branched out into researching my maternal ancestors.

I was quite lucky because, when I was about 10, I was given a family tree chart to complete and was able to find out the surnames of most of my great-grandparetns from my dad and one of my maternal great-aunts. This made it much easier to trace several brnahces of the family.
ksouthall

Postby Loish711 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 am

I didn't start till I was around 34 but still relatively young. I started after my Mum died and I realised that my father was the only one left to tell me about the family. I'm glad I did as I've found cousins in Australia and elsewhere I never knew I had, a half brother that I never met till last year. Not to mention loads of scandals/ mental health issues in the family which explains a lot about who I am.
Loish711

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Blueglory1505 wrote:I always remember as a child being taken on days out to graveyards with my brother and sister and told who's name to look for. At the time it was a fabulous game and my Mum was always delighted when we found an ancestor, of course now I know we were her minions to help further her research but it must have sowed a seed with me!

Lauren x

I have also encouraged my children to play this game. They get a point for each grave they find, then we see who has won at the end. They know which surnames to look for. I'm not sure how much they enjoy it though!
ksouthall

Postby junkers » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm

The trouble with family history is that you end up visiting churchyards even when you don't think you have an ancestor but maybe you might be lucky and then there are the gems like an officer who fought at the Battle of Waterloo is buried in our local churchyard. Unfortunately some churchyards have now been closed down and used for other purposes.
junkers

Next

Return to Genealogy chat