Moderator Control Panel ]

What inspired you to start your research?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: What inspired you to start your research?

Postby VickiM » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

I sort of started on a whim about 18 months ago. We've always been very much about inherited traits and I wanted to find out more and go further back.

Im new to the forum by the way so hello!
VickiM

Postby grandma » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 am

I realised, after my brother's death, that I was the only person left in my family & that I knew nothing beyond my maternal grandparents (my paternal grandparents had both died before I was born). I now have grandchildren and want them to know their family histories. It's been fascinating and frustrating!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
grandma

Postby Guy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 am

It was very simple for me; I was born.

Family history has been part of my way of life since infancy. I was plonked at a desk in a church before I could write with tracing paper and an original parish register and shown how to trace letters, that was part of the way I learned to write.
At other times I would be washing family gravestones with my mum and siblings. It was just something we did growing up.
I suppose the main inspiration was because of my grandfather's interest in genealogy (he compiled a tree and book of wills which he published and gave to his children).

But really I was doomed at birth. ;)
Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat