Moderator Control Panel ]

What inspired you to start your research?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: What inspired you to start your research?

Postby warpo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:29 am

My nanna had 5 children with her first husband and two with her second husband. My fathers dad being the second husband. For 6 of the births my nannas maiden name was new to me as her maiden name was completely different on my fathers birth certificate. This started the interest. My nanna used her mothers second husbands name on my father's birth. Turns out my nannas real father committed suicide on a fishing vessel when she was just one years old. The interest deepened....
warpo

Postby mrs tee » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:47 pm

My dad was an only child and the only maternal family he ever met (other than his mum) was 1 aunt, his mum had been married but not to his father so my dad was interested to know about his family, his mum and dad both died before I was born but I have 8 children and would like them to know about our family too

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
mrs tee

Postby wyatt0502 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:22 pm

It all started for me when my great grandfather died in 2010 and it took me by surprise how much I didn't know about him and his family. This got me asking different questions and one thing lead to another and nearly 4 years on I have found out so much information it's amazing I feel like I really know who my family really are!. However there is still new bits I learn everyday and my tree continues to grow bigger and bigger.

wyatt0502

Postby JaneyH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 pm

As a teenager I helped my Dad with family history back in the 1980s. At the time this consisted mainly of looking at records on microfiche in various locations - either in London or in County Records Offices. I also spent a fair bit of time poking around gravestones in churchyards! Becoming a parent has undoubtedly reignited my interest in family history, and with so many resources available online I've quickly become a bit of an addict!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby Dotty99 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:39 am

I got the bug when I was sorting through Dad's papers after he died 10 years ago. I'd always had an interest - Mum's brother had done a lot of research on that line - but hadn't done any research myself. We never knew anything about Dad's family. We knew his brothers and saw them regularly, and that his sister died quite young, and we knew that there had been a huge disagreement meaning that Dad never spoke about his parents and extended family. All any of us knew that his parents were from York.

I found Mum & Dad's marriage certificate and for the first time saw my grandfather's name. And that was it - I got the bug!
Dotty99

Postby Octobergold » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:49 pm

I started aged 9 or 10 (30 years ago) we had genealogy lessons at school. We were provided with workbooks and taken on trips, shown how to research and understand the various basic documents we were encouraged to interview our relatives. We trampled our way through the library - A class of forty isn't quiet. We also looked at the wider family, family history and were shown that having an interest in the local area of the ancestor could sometimes get you out of a sticky situation as well as provide an interesting background. Everything about it appealed to me on and off I've been doing it ever since I've still got some of my original research sheets.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Octobergold

Postby Allison Smith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:38 am

A Family reunion held in the 1970's for one branch of my mother's family and almost 40 years later I am still researching all branches of my family.

Allison Smith

Postby Tree Detective » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Have always had an interest in family history because of my unusual surname (Mclea) and wanted to find out more. Started when I was 18 but had very little to go on.

2 years ago I moved to a different town and within 6 months discovered that my ancestors came from a town approximately 9 miles from were I live!! I have found a few of their graves and there are people in the area who have been very helpful with their knowledge.

Must of been my destiny to move home and find my ancestors!

Sent from my GT-I9295 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Tree Detective

Postby nanpanten » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm

I had a child with an inherited disease in 1974 and wanted to see where it could have come from. At that time I was a member of a church that encouraged investigating our families. Although m no longer a member go that church my enthusiasm for research has never stopped.

nanpanten

Postby Thosky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:11 am

When my father retired some thirty years ago he started to put our family tree together. In those days he was doing it all manually and was getting frustrated at having to redraw the whole tree with each new line of ddiscovery. I offered to feed all his data into an early computer-based system I had access to and would feed him back a new chart with each new set of discoveries. One thing led to another and I am still at it.

Thosky

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat