Moderator Control Panel ]

What inspired you to start your research?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: What inspired you to start your research?

Postby fentiger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

I met someone (age 62) who had a huge chip on his shoulder because he had been fostered and adopted. He carried the knowledge that his mum 'didn't want me'. I traced his family and his mum was an unmarried mother in a catholic family, while his mum was asleep her mum took the baby away. I found a half sister and an auntie for him who told him his mum never recovered from this. She had died but he has family now.
I decided to research my family as I'm on my own. It's expensive, addictive, frustrating and I love it!!
fentiger

Postby gedparker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Birth of my eldest 21 years ago
Marrying a woman whose 4 grandparents had rare names
some nagging family stories I had heard as a child
gedparker

Postby Frances Lake » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 pm

I started my research because I found out that my father had been adopted and he had died without telling his family this. He had been a very difficult man to live with and looking back over his life I concluded that his lack of self esteem may have been caused by a feeling of rejection by his birth mother, his adoptive family and even his own family.

I want to know the truth about his birth and my biological heritage, but the GRO will not allow me access to the information they hold that links his birth to his adoption. I have tried everything in my power, including going to the High Court in London, and still continue the fight today. In the process I have formed a support group for people just like me called Descendants of Deceased Adopted Persons (DAP). We liaise closely with the British Association for Adoption and Fostering and have the support of many other agencies and legal advisors. We are currently campaiging for a change in the Adoption Act and hope that the House of Lords Select Committee on Adoption Legislation will mention us when it publishes its report in February next year. We are aware that questions have been asked about descendants in Parliament, but government sticks by its policy of ' no plans to change'.

The Adoption ACt does not recognise descendants as 'birth reltives' . We believe that the intent of the changes to the Act in 2002 was to make access to information easier for birth relatives and it is time Government addressed this anomaly in the law to give descendants equal rights.

If you know the birth name of your adopted parent you can continue with your family history research in the normal way, but if you do not know his or her birth name and the adoption took place during or after 1927, you are denied access by law. We want an equal right to know who we are. If you are affected by this legislation, please write to your MP and ask him to contact Ed Timpson, the Children's Minister in the Department for Education and tell him it is time to change the law.
Frances Lake

Postby Sylcec » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 am

Hi Frances
I am so sorry to read about your difficulty in identifying your late father's biological family. It is hard to understand the rationale of the government or laws in place, as presumably all those who could be hurt by revealing the information are now deceased.

I adopted a baby daughter in 1983, and collected her from the hospital where she was born and received non-identifying information. But I also knew that when she was 18, that both she and her biological mother would have the right to access the other's information, unless a veto was placed on the file. As things turned out, contact was made with my blessing and assistance when my daughter was only 14. This is in NSW, Australia. I don't think that all Australian states have the same law.

Good luck with your search and I do hope that your persistence wins out in the end.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KayFarndon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:03 pm

When I began my research it certainly wasn't to produce a tree: that never entered my head. My father's family home was my second home, our surname was unusual [so I thought] and in all the years we spent there and the hundreds of people who visited the farm, there was never anyone with the same surname as us.

After my Father died in 1998, I decided to see whether I could discover where the name had originated.

I found that there are hundreds of us, worldwide and we were all of the same opinion, thinking, 'We are the only ones'!

I have visited Canada twice now and the likeness between family members is uncanny. None of us had any idea about the other and it has been an amazing journey of discovery.

There is never any lack of subject matter when we get together and we generally find more questions
to be answered.

It is an exciting hobby for anyone, is highly addictive and I would thoroughly recommend it.
KayFarndon

Postby MysticDave » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 pm

I was watching Nick Hewer tonight and thinking how much he resembled his Irish ancestor, as physical resemblance was one thing, which got me interested. Males in my family go bald and grey prematurely - well, my father, uncle and I did! It hasn't affected my uncle's two sons nor my sister's two lads. My grandfather had a decent head of hair until he died (although we have bred out his Lineker ears!) and I could see from a picture of my granny's father that he certainly had the premature baldness.

I really became interested when very young as I was born in Scotland, although my family name comes from the north Midlands. So, in a very English school, I liked to stand out a bit with my Scottish heritage - despite regular teasing over football results! My mother was an Elliott, but came from Surrey, so she told me that her ancestors were supposed to have come south with Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1745 and not gone home. She also seemed to know about the mass hanging of Elliots at Jedburgh during the Lowland Clearances under James VI/I.

My paternal grandparents died within a year of each other and as my father had died young, my mother was an executor along with my uncle. My g/f had shown me a family Bible when I was quite young and I told my mother to be sure to get it from its hidden location when the house was cleared. My mother and uncle don't get on, so I don't think he knows even now that I have the Bible. That showed part of my g/f's maternal line reaching back into Oxfordshire, but there were also some papers about my direct g-g-g/f and his family, especially as he had met his wife while serving in South Africa. I could then see his birthplace in Staffordshire and so, when I was a student in London, I went to St Katherine's House and found him on the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

Since then, it has been a series of bizarre coincidences. A friend of mine , whom I know for other reasons, is interested in South African military history and he wrote an article on my ancestor's unit. I saw it and mentioned the link, only to be met with "Why didn't you say before?". My ancestor's wife came from Dublin, so I assumed the records had gone, but while doing unrelated research at the National Archives, I was waiting for a file when I found myself by a bookcase with books about emigrants to the major colonies. I picked one out on South Africa and there she was in the Index! It turns out that my Elliott ancestors have been in the Guildford area since at least 1380 and there is no Scottish ancestry - Alistair McGowan moment really - while there is an illegitimacy in my surname line, so I have the wrong surname anyway. I have tended to think I might be of Anglo-Saxon stock, but even there, it is different as my DNA test shows I am from the original Celtic settlers of NW England.

Oh well - they say you should be prepared for a few surprises. :shock:
MysticDave

Postby derekwc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:26 pm

I started in 1995. I'd retired

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
derekwc

Postby derekwc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Just a few months after my second grandson was born. One evening when we were babysitting I started to think that if we didn't do something about it then he'd never know that his maternal great grandfather was with Mongomery in the desert, Greece and Monte Cassino while his paternal great grandfather was with Whittle on the early jets. As the saying goes the rest is history!!!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
derekwc

Postby vnolan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

For me it started back in late 2007 after one night watching an episode of WDYTYA. Dad said "I wouldn't mind finding out about my father's story". My dad knew very little about his father's history before he got married to his mother. I was a little curious as my grandparents had died before I was born and they had stayed in the UK whilst my father had emigrated to Australia in the late 50's.

As my father is computer illiterate I said I would give it a go. Back then there was not much to find on the net and I got board with it quickly. Fast forward to 2013 I can truly say I am addicted. I have 255 names in my tree and when you break down those brick walls "oh the joy of it".
VNolan - Sydney, Australia

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
vnolan

Postby hullnow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:32 pm

I had a number of family documents e.g bmd certificates,that were gathering dust in a box file.I realised that unless I tried researching the family it was possible no one else would.
I`ve been doing it for about a year and have found it fascinating.
Although I was adopted into this family as a baby I still regard my interest as valid as this is the only family I know.It is surprising some of the things that you discover.A very addictive hobby.
hullnow

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat