Moderator Control Panel ]

October issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

October issue

Postby Tartantyke » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:42 am

Have I missed something here? I picked up my copy yesterday and was charged £5.99 is this now the regular price I never saw anything mentioned about a price increase in the September issue.I am not sure weather any magazine is worth this price
Tartantyke

Re: October issue

Postby ritah » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:58 pm

I imagine the price was £1 more this issue because of the booklet enclosed. I queried an increased price once before and was told that it was because of an 'extra' I think with the magazine for that issue.

I have looked at other family history magazines and still think that WDYTYA is the best one. Subscribing is also much cheaper.

Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 pm

I believe this practice is quite widespread. I saw something on TV a while back about the 'free gifts' with childrens' comics giving rise to quite large increases. If you subscribe to the magazine you are not affected.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Editor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello, I'm afraid we do have to pass on the costs of extra covermounts to our newsstand buyers, but there is no difference to the cost of a subscription which still works out at £2.99 per issue.

We wanted to add a getting started guide to the issue for all those who have been inspired by watching the television series, but a lot of our regular readers don't need a getting started guide within the magazine so we created something bigger and separate.

There is the option of getting the guide 'sponsored' and asking the sponsor to take on the costs, but then it often just becomes one big advertisement for that one provider and doesn't really give people a balanced overview of what's available.

However, it is useful for us to get feedback from readers through this forum and I do appreciate it. We do want to keep everyone happy as far as possible and your comments are helpful.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby callbrian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi
The subscription is definitely worthwhile and the magazine remains excellent value. The variation of subjects is a credit to Sarah and her team.
I believe it is a good idea to have a separate guide, most magazines re-run starting guides, much to the annoyance of regular subscribers.

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Return to Magazine chat