Moderator Control Panel ]

Great Grandad.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Great Grandad.

Postby stantonbethany » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:27 am

Hi,

I've been researching My Great Grandfather's time in the military and just have a few questions that I wonder if anyone can help me with please?

He enlisted in Bedford end of 1915 and became part of the Bedfordshire Yeomanry (2108) He didn't go out to France until September 1916 - Was the amount of time that lapsed between enlisting and actually go to the front because of training?

Also when he returned home and married in March 1917 on his Marriage Cert he was down as a Private in the Bedfordshire Yeomanry however between March and his death in October 1917 he had served in the 17th Lancers and Royal Warwickshire regiment (32548) - Does anyone know why he would have changed regiments twice in such a short space of time?

Many thanks.
Beth
stantonbethany

NOT REQUIRED

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:48 am

Hello Beth. Have you tried using Google for either of the regiments you mention? I have just entered them and there are links which might prove useful to you.
You could also ask at both the register offices, local concil office and hospital of where you know your great grandfather was and see if they can help at all.
Last edited by KayFarndon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KayFarndon

Re: Great Grandad.

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:53 am

Hi Beth, my last message went before I had completed it! The suggestion of the latter places would be to cover whether he had been ill during that time. Could the change of regiments be due to him relocating at some point. I hope this gives you some ideas to work on.
KayFarndon

Re: Great Grandad.

Postby stantonbethany » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Many thanks for your reply :D I will look into that.
stantonbethany

Return to Military help