Moderator Control Panel ]

What did you think about the September issue?

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

What did you think about the September issue?

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Hello!

The September 2012 issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine has been out for over three weeks now, giving you plenty of time to have sat back and digested almost 100 pages of genealogical content. We had expert advice on how to trace your Scottish forebears, an exclusive preview of the new TV series and even a handy guide to dating beach photographs.

Haven't got your copy? For full details of what can be found, visit the magazine page.

We'd love to know what you think, so please post your comments below.

The October edition will be going on sale on Tuesday 4 September.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: What did you think about the September issue?

Postby debsstock » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am

I'm just now catching up on some back-issues of the magazine as I was abroad a lot last autumn, so I apologise that this feedback is rather late!

I have just read the Q&A query from H Kilborn about tracking down the births of his grandparents' three missing children (p.42), and wanted to pass on a comment that should solve his/her problem.
As your expert mentioned, fitting in three more births into the 6-year marriage of the parents in addition to the three living children known about would be "pretty good going". It seemed unlikely, especially as the only other Kilborn birth/death registrations mentioned in the answer don't slot easily in between the known children. I therefore had a look at the scan of the original 1911 census entry that had prompted the query - and discovered that H Kilborn has made mistake in reading the information about the number of children born to the couple.

The scan clearly shows that the couple had been married for 6 years, and that they had had 3 children, all of whom were living, with no deaths. I can only assume that H Kilborn misread the column headings and thought that the 6 referred to the number of children, with 3 living and 3 having died. Perhaps he/she didn't even see the original scan and took the numbers from a transcript.

I hope that you can pass this answer on to him/her, to stop him/her from puzzling any further about the problem, and perhaps wasting money on irrelevant certificates!
debsstock

Postby traxxasreviews » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Where do I inquire about perusing the magazine?? any feedback is appreciated!

Thx in advance!

-mike
traxxasreviews

Postby Editor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Hi Mike, you can peruse the current issue in most WHSmiths and a lot of supermarkets and larger newsagents. You can order back issues if there is something specific you are looking for.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat