Moderator Control Panel ]

October issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

October issue

Postby ritah » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:34 pm

I had a look through the '20 simple steps' booklet that came with this issue which arrived yesterday and was interested to see the copy of Florence Nightingale's death certificate as an example of what to look for.

I noticed the name of the doctor certifying death to be L. Garrett Anderson MD, she was Louisa Garrett Anderson only surviving daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Garrett Anderson a pioneer in the treatment of women and children. Elizabeth was the first woman to become a doctor in this country and set up a medical practice near Harley Street then started a philanthropic project called St. Mary's Dispensary for Women and Children in Marylebone. In 1890 this moved to the Euston Road and was later to be named after her, the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital, which has now been incorporated into University College Hospital as the maternity and neo-natal services.

Again this shows how one little piece of information can send your research down another interesting route.

Rita
ritah

Re: October issue

Postby Loish711 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:47 am

My Mother's maiden name was Garrett and when I was a child I was always told we were related to Elizabeth Garrett Anderson. When I did some research on that side of the family I couldn't find a connection. Elizabeth's family lived around the London area whereas mine originated from Scotland then lived in Wakefield until one branch moved to Sheffield.
Loish711

Re: October issue

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 am

Fantastic piece of information, Ritah - I wasn't aware of that! I think it's all too easy to glance over the other names on the certificates.

Does anyone else have any stories of having discovered a notable doctor, priest etc listed on any of their forebears' BMD records?
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Magazine chat