Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 - Batman - Woolwich - Artillery?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 - Batman - Woolwich - Artillery?

Postby Philipthespur » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi All,

I am trying to track my Grandads WW1 military record. All I know he was barracked in Woolwich and was a Batman to an officer I presume and served on the western front. I have tried Ancestry and the Forces War records to no avail. I realise that Mr Hitler destroyed some 50% of the Army records for WW1 but I was wondering if there are any avenues I can follow?

Many thanks,

Philip
Philipthespur

Re: WW1 - Batman - Woolwich - Artillery?

Postby Sylcec » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am

Philip - as you didn't provide us with a name, unfortunately we are unable to run any research checks for you. However, if your ancestor served in WWI then he will have been entitled to certain medals - at least the British War and Victory Medals. If he was in France in 1914 or 1915 then he will have been received one of the Star medals for this. His medal index card should be on Ancestry - however as there are about 5 million of these it can be difficult to identify the right one without further information. Very few actual service or pension records have survived the blitz but as you realise those that have are, like the medal index cards on Ancestry.

Woolwich suggests Royal Artillery to me. If you have an idea of the officer's name, then suggest that you try and trace him. Your best research resource is probably "The Long Long Trail" http://www.1914-1918.org and the associated British War Forum (I think its called).
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby DavidG » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Philip,

I have the same problem with my G Grandad with the additional frustration that the also destroyed the War Diary for the months I'm interested in during counter battery fire in 1917!

Have you tried the Royal Artillery Museum "Firepower" they have large collection of records (no service records though!).

If you have his name, number and battery they should be able to give you for a small donation information from the War Diary.

www.firepower.org.uk/

David
DavidG

Postby Philipthespur » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:26 am

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies and help. My Grand dads name was Arthur Frederick Evans born 1898 in Christchurch parish southwark south London. I am currently chasing over a dozen Arthur Evans' medal records in the hope of tracing "My" Arthur Evans.

Kind regards,

Philip
Philipthespur

Postby Philipthespur » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:29 am

Many thanks David. If only we could get the BBC to sort it all for us!! Will post any news I get!

Cheers,

Philip

DavidG wrote:Philip,

I have the same problem with my G Grandad with the additional frustration that the also destroyed the War Diary for the months I'm interested in during counter battery fire in 1917!

Have you tried the Royal Artillery Museum "Firepower" they have large collection of records (no service records though!).

If you have his name, number and battery they should be able to give you for a small donation information from the War Diary.

http://www.firepower.org.uk/

David
Philipthespur

Postby Philipthespur » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 am

Many thanks for your suggestions and help Sylvia. I have posted my Grand dads name so if you can shed any light I would be most grateful. I shall not give up!

Kind regards,

Philip

Sylcec wrote:Philip - as you didn't provide us with a name, unfortunately we are unable to run any research checks for you. However, if your ancestor served in WWI then he will have been entitled to certain medals - at least the British War and Victory Medals. If he was in France in 1914 or 1915 then he will have been received one of the Star medals for this. His medal index card should be on Ancestry - however as there are about 5 million of these it can be difficult to identify the right one without further information. Very few actual service or pension records have survived the blitz but as you realise those that have are, like the medal index cards on Ancestry.

Woolwich suggests Royal Artillery to me. If you have an idea of the officer's name, then suggest that you try and trace him. Your best research resource is probably "The Long Long Trail" http://www.1914-1918.org and the associated British War Forum (I think its called).
Good hunting! Sylvia
Philipthespur

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:21 am

The Medal Index Cards provide very little information, but based on details provided by you so far, I think the most likely is probably:
Arthur F Evans, F.R.A. Dvr [Driver] Regtl no. 83217
He received the 1915 star for service in France from 27 December 1915
and of course the British War & Victory Medals.

Another aspect to your search which hasn't yet been canvassed: I have presumed that your grand-dad survived WWI, and also that he did not continue to serve in the army after cessation of hostilities. If by chance he did continue in the army past 1922 then his service record will be with the Ministry of Defence and can be applied for by next of kin.
Sylcec

Postby Philipthespur » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,

Many thanks. You are spot on! I have just found this out but have reached a dead end. Employed a researcher who said no further info on medal roll as opposed to medal card? Still not giving up so should you have any further avenues then I would be pleased to receive any help! Thanks once again.

Regards,

Philip
Philipthespur

Postby Philipthespur » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi All,

Looks like I have come to a dead end. Managed to view medal roll for 3 x medals at Kew and no unit on records other than RFA. So dissapointed. Anyone got any other idea's?

Thanks,

Philip
Philipthespur

Return to Military help