Moderator Control Panel ]

1841 Census - same Lacey family, 2 places

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

1841 Census - same Lacey family, 2 places

Postby anthlacey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:26 pm

I've come across a strange one in the research of my eldest known ancestor, Lydia Lacey from Shardlow (b. 1791), Derbyshire.

Whilst I was trying to confirm she was the mother of Henry, my great x3 grandfather, the 1841 Census showed up Henry's wife and 2 children staying with her. They are also on the Nottingham 1841 Census too, at home with Henry and eldest child William (my great x2 grandfather).

Is this is a common thing with the 1841? I realise the population were given forms 4 days before which were collected on the Census night, but anyone travelling around would have the place they were residing that very evening, so I've read so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
anthlacey

Re: 1841 Census - same Lacey family, 2 places

Postby ritah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:01 pm

This problem seems to crop up on various census returns, it seems that some people misunderstood what was to be put on the forms ie that only the people resident on that night should be included, not those who normally lived there.

Form filling has never been easy!

Rita
ritah

Postby anthlacey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:47 pm

ritah wrote:This problem seems to crop up on various census returns, it seems that some people misunderstood what was to be put on the forms ie that only the people resident on that night should be included, not those who normally lived there.

Form filling has never been easy!

Rita

Hi Rita,

Yes, thanks for the reply - that's what seems the easiest explanation. Although just a name, place, etc shouldn't tax too many in 1841 ;-)
anthlacey

Postby ritah » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Do remember that education in reading and writing was not that widespread at that time so I think people can be forgiven for not understanding exactly what was required of them don't you?

Rita
ritah

Postby anthlacey » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

ritah wrote:Do remember that education in reading and writing was not that widespread at that time so I think people can be forgiven for not understanding exactly what was required of them don't you?

Rita

My thoughts exactly. Lydia was in service for a gentleman farmer and her son Henry was a cordwainer, so probably not educated at all. The next generation saw quite a change I think - William became an actor (as well as originally following his father's trade) and in later life got involved teaching in his local chapel.
anthlacey

Return to Genealogy chat