Moderator Control Panel ]

Gunner RA

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Gunner RA

Postby leslie harris » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi I am new to the site. I am trying to find any service records for my 2x greatgrandfather Harry White. He is listed on my greatgrandfathers' birth certificate in 1883 as a gunner in the RA living with his wife Eliza Sarah White [nee Miles]. They were married in Dover Kent, and his address was 29 Victory Street, Sheerness, Kent. He was born in Bloomsbury London in 1863. According to the 1891 census he is listed as living back in London and no longer in the services. Any help or info would be very much appreciated. Thankyou
leslie harris

Re: Gunner RA

Postby ColinB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think I may have found Harry White's Service Record on Findmypast. There is a Harry White b1859 Holborn who enlisted in the Royal Artillery on 10th February 1879. His next of kin is given as his father , Samuel White , of 5 Westbourne Street, Barnsbury, and then at a later date wife Eliza. He was in Sheerness from August 1882 and then in Dover from 27 Sep 1883. He is on the 1881 Census as Harry White , Gunner , b 1859 Holborn , in Anglesea Barracks , Portsea , Hampshire. On the 1891 Census which you mentioned Harry White has his brother Arthur S White living with him. I used this to trace back and found that their father was Samuel White but I haven't managed to tie in the address given for Samuel on the Service Record.

Colin
ColinB

Re: Gunner RA

Postby leslie harris » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:47 am

Hello Colin, you are a genius and thank you very much. I have been searching for a long time for this info - it is indeed the right Harry White - it was his date of birth that confused me as I have him down as born in 1863,but from what you say I now know this is incorrect ,as his father was indeed Samuel White, his wife was Eliza and also his brother was Arthur S White. I can now get his record and put it with his old photo from the late twenties hanging on my wall. Once again, thank you for your time and effort . Kind regards Les
leslie harris

Return to Military help