Moderator Control Panel ]

5th Battalion Suffolks- Galipolli 1915.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

5th Battalion Suffolks- Galipolli 1915.

Postby jeffward » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 pm

The WW1 memorial in Hadleigh Suffolk contains 110 names.Of these at least 57 served in the Suffolk regiment. Of the 57;14 are recorded as having died on the 21st August 1915 while serving with the 5th Battalion ( TA ) at Galipolli. This date is also used by the CWGC.
However the action which resulted in their deaths -At Sulva Bay-took place on 12th August. This is borne out by the battalions war diary which describes the action and on the 19th states casualties for the period 12th to 19th were 11 officers and 178 other ranks killed, wounded or missing.Also that they were in reserve on the 21st. A battalion history published in 1923 and the official regimental history published 1926 both confirm they were missing and presumed dead on the 12th August.
Notwithstanding this the Battalion's casualty book, which I have seen, shows the men as having been presumed killed on the 21st august; while the officers who took part in the same action where presumed killed on the 12th. each entry in annotated to the effect that the War Office had authorised the presumption of death.
I had at one time thought there had been some sort of clerical error or a transposition of figures,but the way the entries are set out precludes this. The only reason I can think of for using a later date is that a certain time had to elapse before death could be presumed. In which case why was'nt it applied to the officers?. Can anyone help please. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Re: 5th Battalion Suffolks- Galipolli 1915.

Postby jeffward » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Since posting my query; I have discovered that owing to the circumstances the 5th battalion found its self in following the action , they were not able to take a roll call of all the men until the 20th August. Thus they were all posted missing believed killed with effect from 21st August. Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Return to Military help