Moderator Control Panel ]

New addition to the team

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

New addition to the team

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Hello!

My name is Jon and I'm Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine's new editorial assistant. Matt Elton has moved across the office to join BBC History Magazine meaning that I will now be the first person to contact with regards to all forum queries, as well as those relating directly to the website.

Anyway, here's just a little bit of personal info to break the ice...

I'm a recent Bristol University graduate and I couldn't be more excited to join the editorial team at WDYTYA. I have a real passion for social history and have recently been working on my own family tree, focusing primarily on my paternal grandfather's forebears - mainly because I'm fascinated by our unusual surname! So far my search has uncovered a murderer, a millwright and several Thames watermen, but I'm currently trying to trace some potential Huguenot ancestors. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

I look forward to getting to know you all and hearing about your own research. If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: New addition to the team

Postby ritah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome to the fascinating and frustrating world of family history! You have certainly got some interesting people in your tree so far.

Sorry to bombard you with an issue so soon but are you the person who will now be dealing with spam messages reported to the forum? We seem to be getting several from the same people and one or two of us wonder if there is any way these people can be blocked once they have sent an unwanted message. Let me know please.

Good luck with your research and the new job.

Rita
ritah

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm

ritah wrote:
Sorry to bombard you with an issue so soon but are you the person who will now be dealing with spam messages reported to the forum? We seem to be getting several from the same people and one or two of us wonder if there is any way these people can be blocked once they have sent an unwanted message.

Hi Rita,

Thanks, and good to meet you!

Yes, please inform me of any technical issues with the forum, especially those concerning spam. If you could PM me with the details of any unwanted messages, I'd be more than happy to look into them for you. Admittedly, I'm still learning the ropes (I've only just started) but I will do my best to keep you and any others informed of progress.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Sylcec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome Jon
You do indeed have an unusual surname - maybe this should be a pre-requisite for editorial staff of a family history publication! :)

I echo Ritah's comments about spam advertising messages which appear on the forums (?fora) from time to time. There is a special thread set up in Feedback to report these messages, so you might like to monitor this to begin with, though of course you may develop a different method of dealing with these as you settle in. Enjoy your time at WDYTYA!!
Cheers, Sylvia (in Sydney)
Sylcec

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks Sylvia!

I'm aware of the thread and will be monitoring it daily.

Best,
Jon
Jon Bauckham

Return to Magazine chat