Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 uniforms

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 uniforms

Postby Bluesden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi all. Would you be able to help me identify the badges and insignia on the two uniforms in the attached picture please?

I think the guy on the left is with the 1st Battalion Bedfordshire regiment, not sure about the other.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
Attachments
William-and-Jim.jpg
William-and-Jim.jpg (222.02 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Bluesden

Re: WW1 uniforms

Postby yogibear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Hello. am afraid I can't help personally on your original question but what a fantastic photograph! I can recommend the Great War Forum for WW1 queries - they are all v knowledgable and someone should be able to help you:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

As far as the photo goes, I think I'm right in saying that the chap on the right is a lewis gunner (LG badge), has several good conduct stripes and been wounded 5 times (5 vertical lines lower sleeve). The chap on the left is a marksman (crossed rifles badge) and been wounded twice. Apologies if you already knew this!

Good luck with your research.

LJ
yogibear

Postby Bluesden » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm

LJ, thank you for your reply. I have no idea about any of the uniform details so any help is well received. I have registered at the great war site. It certainly looks to be full of information.

Thanks again.

Jim
Bluesden

Postby yogibear » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 pm

No problem :)

Btw, this link explains some of the insignia on the lower sleeves (wound stripes, good conduct and overseas service insignia):
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.comer ... CE/48b.htm

Have fun :)
yogibear

Return to Photo identification