Moderator Control Panel ]

The Victoria Hall Disaster - Sunderland 1883

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

The Victoria Hall Disaster - Sunderland 1883

Postby rfitzgerald1963 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 am

I have been doing some research into my family history focusing on my Great Grandfather William Chambers Samuelson born Sunderland 1872 - 1950 and have been reading a story about the tragedy that took 183 children's lives, I was born in Sunderland and grew up in the towns surrounding and had never heard of this horrific story. My G. Grandfather was about 11 at the time and would possibly have been at the show a small girl who died in the accident lived in the same street as William and I wondered if anyone knew if there was a list of children that had attended other than those that died. also if anyone knows any more information on this very sad episode? I am really surprised that so little seems to be known and that I had never heard or was taught anything about this as I would have expected this to be a major part of the history taught to children in the North East if no where else...
rfitzgerald1963

Re: The Victoria Hall Disaster - Sunderland 1883

Postby ritah » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:20 pm

I am not from that part of England but after reading your post I did the usual google search for 'Victoria Hall Sunderland' which brought up several websites. Wikipedia has several external links too. Perhaps you have seen all of these in your research but are possibly worth checking out.

As you have said it is very surprising that nothing much is known locally about such a terrible event.

Regards Rita
ritah

Return to Genealogy chat