Moderator Control Panel ]

Mystery woman, date and significance of picture

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Mystery woman, date and significance of picture

Postby silmaf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 am

mystery Victorian woman.jpg
mystery Victorian woman.jpg (31.17 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Hi there
This picture was originally an "oval glass" picture - I assume an ambrotype. My uncle, who worked as a photographic retoucher back in the black and white days made a print image off the ambrotype, and retouched the corners to make a very large portrait. The attached image is a photograph of the portrait. Family lore has it that this woman was born in around 1835 and that the original location was probably London.
The gores on the bodice have a finely box-pleated trim. Just below the left elbow is a small medallion trimmed with the box-pleating trim, as is the detail on the back. I think the dress might have white cuffs rather than engageants - not sure though. The fabric has a sheen. The earrings look like bone or ivory.
The skirt shape has been painted out into a bell shape - you can see the original oval image faintly - and I'm not sure whether my uncle got the shape right.
I found a reference to her holding a flower in the original ambrotype, so I'm interested in what holding a flower in your left hand signifies.
She may well have been a redhead, and seems to have a braided hairstyle (which has foiled my attempts to date by hairstyle).
I am interested in your comments on who could afford an ambrotype, what her style of dress signifies as to station in life, marital status, whether she could be a servant posing in cast-offs and of course the likely date. is it possible that the image is of a woman born before 1835?
[img][img][/img][/img]
Thanks
Mary
Last edited by silmaf on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
silmaf

Re: Mystery woman, date and significance of picture

Postby silmaf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:13 am

The picture didn't attach. Hints on uploading successfully? File size is <1MB.
silmaf

Re: Mystery woman, date and significance of picture

Postby silmaf » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:53 am

Hi there
The resolution of this picture is low now, but I hope the notes make up for it. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Mary
silmaf

Return to Photo identification