Moderator Control Panel ]

Sheffield connections

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Sheffield connections

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 am

Has anyone any knowledge of a Harry and Dolly Clark from Sheffield who used to visit the village of Theddlethorpe St Helen, Lincolnshire in the 1940's and 50's please? They used to visit the Jesney family who lived at Harpsbridge House and I was under the impression that they were relatives, but I have failed to find anything on them at all, as I really do not know where to start. Dolly could be a diminutive of Dorothy, but also just a pet name.
I am also interested in the family of a Winifred Mary Parkin, who died in 1937 in Sheffield. here's hoping someone will be able to help me.
KayFarndon

Re: Sheffield connections

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 am

Dolly could also be a diminutive of Doris; e.g. my granny and also Samantha Womack's grandmother.
ksouthall

Postby ritah » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Not much to go on here, do you have any idea of the ages of Harry or Dolly when they visited the Jesney family? Ancestry's telephone directory listings has a private entry in 1951 for Harry Clark living at 80 Bushey Wood Road, Totley Rise, Sheffield - perhaps the local archive could check the electoral roll to see if Dolly was listed for the same address. There are also three H. Clark businesses listed in the phone book for 1951, one is a milk retailer, one a plasterer and one is the sub-postmaster at Notton P.O., Royston, S. Yorks. Do any of these occupations ring a bell with you?

How certain are you of the details of the death of Winifred Mary Parkin 1937 Sheffield? The only death shown by ancestry for that name in that year is registered in Edmonton Middlesex.

Rita
ritah

Postby KayFarndon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Thank you Ritah for replying. Apologies now, as Winifred Mary died under the name of Winifred Mary Jesney on 14th November 1937, so one hundred percent sure of that. Parkin was her maiden name.
The H. Clark, plasterer looks promising, as my late father was a plasterer and served his time in Sheffield. He said that he worked for an uncle, but I have never found any connection to this and wondered whether it was an 'honorary' uncle.
I was a child when I used to see the Clarks, so difficult to put an age to them, but anywhere between 40 and 60 I would think and I know that is a broad spectrum.
This is all I have to go on and I thank you again for taking the trouble to help me.
KayFarndon

Postby ritah » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello Kay

Found Winifred now I think. Her death shows her age as 26 so I presume her birth is reg O-D 1911 Ecclesall Sheffield, mother Sharman. At present I can't find a marriage of Sharman to Parkin but will look again later. I believe Winifred married Frank Stanley Jesney who was born in 1913 in Louth Lincs who I think remarried Winifred M (very confusing!) Davies in 1940 in Coventry and died in 1984 in Nuneaton&Bedworth which is near Coventry.

Before I go any further perhaps you would let me know if you have any knowledge of any of this. If not I think the course to take would be to get Winifred Mary's birth certificate which will give you definite information.

Rita
ritah

Postby KarenQld » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:01 am

This looks like it may have connections to the plaster Harry Clark in Sheffield. Someone researching Harry and his wife Martha - however they had a son Harry Jnr b1901 who took over the business. It may help.

http://pub11.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 1&cmd=show
KarenQld

Postby KarenQld » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 am

... just a possible few marriages for Harry Clark that would include a poss Dolly - there's not a lot of possibilities ; poss it could have been from the second name. (though this could have been a pet name for a number of reasons). The Harry, plaster and family incl. son Harry in Sheffield are easily found in 1911 census so probably could be traced back.

Marriages Jun 1922
Brown Winifred D Clark Ecclesall B. 9c 891
CLARK Harry Brown Ecclesall B. 9c 891

Marriages Jun 1926
Clark Harry Shepherd York 9d 10
Shepherd Doris M Clark York 9d 10
KarenQld

Postby KayFarndon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Thank you again Ritah and I have all the certificates for the births, marriages and deaths for all these people.
It is just the Clarks which are the puzzle as I have no idea how or if they fit in. I have absolutely nothing else to go on I'm afraid.
KayFarndon

Postby ritah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Kay

The link from KarenQld looks interesting but to try to make any connection between that family, the Harry and Dolly family and your late father you will need to give a little information on your father. I understand that you may not want to put this into the open forum but if you would like to send me a private message with names dates etc I will be happy to have a look for you.

The 'Harry' of Harry and Dolly does concern me however that this is only a nickname he was known by and not his real name, my own father was known to his friends as Harry but his real name was nothing like it!

Let me know if you want any further help.

Rita
ritah

Postby KayFarndon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:40 am

Thank you for your last message Ritah, but there would be no point in giving anymore details as regards this mystery, but I am now working on Karen's idea and will let you know if I am successful.
KayFarndon

Return to Genealogy chat