Moderator Control Panel ]

Gregg Wallace's episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

Gregg Wallace's episode

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi everyone,

The new series of Who Do You Think You Are? continues on BBC One at 9pm this Wednesday evening with an episode featuring MasterChef's Gregg Wallace. It's a story studded with tragedy, as Gregg sets out to uncover the truth about his great-grandfather's life. As always, we'd love to hear what you think: share your opinions here...

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Gregg Wallace's episode

Postby Loish711 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:15 pm

I think this was one of my favourite episode, it brought home to me that many of us have tragic and moving events in our family history. It might be a struggle at the time to comprehend such sadness but ultimately such circumstances helps us to understand the upheaval in our own lives and like a jigsaw many things fall into place. I thought Greg was very humble in this programme and grew in my estimation.
Loish711

Postby junkers » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

I thought it was a good episode, but surprised by the original divorce papers being let out of The National Archives. Divorce cases were sometimes heard over several times so searching for all such cases is advisable.
junkers

Postby JoTolhurst » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

The co-respondent in the divorce was Jack Burke. Co-incidence that a fellow stoker on board HMS Vulcan stationed in Malta in 1901 listed next to Henry was John Burke?
Jo
JoTolhurst

Postby Editor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 pm

What an interesting point! I know they are limited by an hour and lots of research has to be left out of the programme, but I wonder if they knew about this connection. It would have been an interesting addition. I guess, it's not possible to say it was the same man with any certainty, but that is definitely a very interesting point!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I thought it was an excellent episode - very sad - I have to admit I would love to hear more about his family.

This is where I wish they could do follow up shows to give you more details.

I would have loved to see how his mum felt after she found out he didn't desert them after all.
Tabithabenef

Postby ritah » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Yes an excellent episode. It's worth having a look at 'Unseen Footage' as well which puts into context why Henry didn't turn up for the divorce hearing.

Rita
ritah

Postby phsvm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I thought this was a much better episode than Samantha Womack's. Not because of the content but because it seemed to be more compact and 'finished' - there weren't loads of loose ends and unanswered questions.

I do hope there's not going to be a common theme of children dying from nightwear catching fire in this series though!
phsvm

Postby wombleuk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 am

a great episode, tons better than the first. Well worth the wait since that end of last series.
well done one and all in making it.
wombleuk

Postby zoid9969 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:05 pm

Quite a draining episode, I thought. I'm not sure how Henry managed to get through all that tragedy. I've got a number of relatives who've been in and out of asylums (and died in them too), and it's rather harrowing. Two of the ones that did die entered due to "melancholia", which gives an indication of just how lacking the Victorian treatment of mental health issues was. As someone who suffers from depression myself, being locked up and abandoned is the last thing you want to happen to you.
zoid9969

Next

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012