Moderator Control Panel ]

Can you identify this village?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can you identify this village?

Postby meekhcs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:57 am

family 122.jpg
family 122.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Can anyone identify this village for me please? I think it must be in Hampshire.
Sally
meekhcs

Re: Can you identify this village?

Postby phsvm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Can you give a bit more information as to why you think it's Hampshire? Any pointers would be useful.

It looks to me as if you have a small river in the foregound, a straight road and a very nice timber house as well as other properties.

The timber house may be listed in Pevsner's Buildings of England. There are also numerous publications relating to villages in different counties. There's a village book for Berkshire and I suspect there's one for Hampshire as well.

Failing that, contact the Hants Federation of WIs, local press, libraries with local history sections.
phsvm

Re: Can you identify this village?

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi Thanks for your reply

I found it among family photos and my family is from Hampshire. At first I wondered if it may be Itchen Abbas, which was our family home for several generations, because of the river and the road, but I have known the village all my life and the buildings and their situation are not right. I will follow up your suggestions. Thanks again Sally
meekhcs

Return to Photo identification