Moderator Control Panel ]

Same generation photos?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Same generation photos?

Postby frannie08 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:21 pm

feb09 015.jpg
father and son or brothers?
feb09 015.jpg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
From a page in our family photo album - we know the photo on the right is of John Haigh (1765-1839), but we are unsure of the man on the left. Do his clothes suggest he is of the same generation, so probably a brother, or a previous generation, so possibly his father? John Haigh was a wealthy woollen merchant from Halifax, Yorkshire if that is of any help. We assume these are photos of original portraits as the back of the photos relate to companies around in the 1850s-1860s, long after their deaths.
frannie08

Re: Same generation photos?

Postby ritah » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm

This looks to me as if they are the same picture, look at the hair, the shadow on his nose, the number of crease marks on his waistcoat, even the 'foxing' on the picture itself.

Rita
ritah

Postby clarksclerks » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 am

Sorry, Rita, I disagree. Are we looking at the same picures? The man on the left loooks much older, grey/white hair, thin face, while the one on the right looks younger, plumper, brown hair with sideburns. However, I'm afraid I can't help with the original question.
Eileen
clarksclerks

Postby ritah » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello Eileen

When I first viewed this post there were definitely two photos of the same person, I even had someone else look at it for me so I don't think I imagined it, the handwritten headings are the same but the two photos now shown are definitely two different people. Again I can't help with the original question but nice to have a chat!

Rita
ritah

Return to Photo identification