Moderator Control Panel ]

Medals

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Medals

Postby medland » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 am

My friends ancestor Henry SYMONS is wearing some medals in a photo taken when he was elderly.
Is someone please able to identify the medals for me.
I have updated my previous post as I now think the gentleman was another Henry Symons who was born in 1850 in the UK he married in 1878 and then came to New Zealand early 1880's.
Hopefully you are able to view the attached photo in a smaller form so that the medals are a bit clearer.
Many thanks, Lynda Macalpine
Attachments
Medals identify.JPG
Medals identify.JPG (178.63 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Last edited by medland on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
medland

Re: Medals

Postby wombleuk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Sadly I cannot recognise any of the medals due to the poor image quality.

The second medal appears to have just one coloured ribbon, but eh first is a little easier in that it has what appears to be white stripes on both sides and down the centre. the other two bands appear to be the same colour and are much darker. The medal itself is too hard to read.

It os possible that neither medals are British, and only by seeing the medallions themselves can one be better informed.

Clearly he is too young to have been at the Battle of Waterloo, but since the Crimea War was 1853 to 1856 it is just possible that he could have been there but would he physically have had the medal by his death in 1855? unlikely.

Are you sure of the dates as I would hardly describe him as elderly at death in 1855 aged 41??

I think it is the Indian mutiny medal 1857-1858 which is 3 white with two red between exactly like the image.

There are five Henry or H Symons on Ancestry with medals in India, Afghanistan, South Africa and the Crimea. Has you friend checked these or know anymore about his military service?

Please get some more information and a better copy of the medal

David
wombleuk

Postby medland » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 am

Thankyou for your help David. My friends didnt even know he had any medals until I pointed them out in the photo! I will get them to recheck their dates and if I can reduce the size of the photo I maybe able to put another up that shows them more clearly (the photo size was too large to put one of my others up).
Will be back. Thanks
medland

Postby medland » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Please refer to my updated photo and updated original post.

Regards, Lynda
medland

Postby Sylcec » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Lynda - this is still a very large photo. I was able to copy and view it in my picture editing software (irfanview) -but although the old gentleman's face is clear and in focus, the medals are not. Unfortunately it is impossible to distinguish the faces of the medals, though like David, I think the one on the left as viewed could be an Indian Mutiny Medal.
Sylcec

Postby wombleuk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:07 am

hello again,
Nice to now see the whole photo, it is a lovely old photo, I love his beard.
Sadly the medals are still not that clear in this image.

I am sticking with my original thought that given the distribution of the 1st medals stripes etc.. that it is most likely the India Mutiny Medal.

As to the second medal, I just dont know.

Good luck with the research and if you do find out for sure what they are do let us know

David
wombleuk

Postby iain Tidey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 am

India Mutiny Medal would fit as the film used at the time recorded Red as Black.
iain Tidey

Postby iain Tidey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:51 pm

If its the Indian Mutiny Medal then it couldn't be Henry, born 1850, as he would have been only 9 when the medal was issued !
The only person called Symons who won the Indian Mutiny Medal was William Symons of the 32nd Foot.
so is this William ? or not a Symons at all?
iain Tidey

Return to Photo identification