Moderator Control Panel ]

Samantha Womack's episode

From Annie Lennox and Gregg Wallace to Alex Kingston and Patrick Stewart, join us every week to share your thoughts about the most recent series of WDYTYA?

Re: Samantha Womack's episode

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 am

myrtlebird8 wrote:Sorry, I have just found the birth record, and it does cite 'Garraud' as mother's maiden name. 1924.

Yes - I had also seen Dolly's birth reference. I guess they didn't show her birth certificate because she is still alive. Perhaps she didn't give permission. Presumably, she still has a copy herself so Samantha had already seen it.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:18 am

wheels wrote:It was impossible to miss the 1908 Plymouth Marriage in fact thats the ONLY marriage that comes up on Freebmd, Ancestry or Findmypast so how and where did they arrive a Gaurand?? needs an email to points of view me thinks to get an explaination.... not only that the American link is pushing a bit as was the supposed photo of a younger brother of Alexander...

The first marriage may not have been relevant to the story or could have been cut from the episode as there was so much to show. I'd guess Alexander couldn't marry Beatrice Garraud if he was already married as that would have been bigamy. He wouldn't want to risk getting caught for his other misdemeanours by remarrying illegally.

It was still a really good programme. Remember we saw the edited highlights not everything.
ksouthall

Postby quiltslm » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Excellent start to the new season. Patricia
quiltslm

Postby lowlandscot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:07 am

They actually described Dolly's mother Beatrice Garraud as Alexander Cunningham Ryan's 'partner' not as his wife...so I suspect there will be no marriage to find.
lowlandscot

Postby Jeeps » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 am

I got the distinct impression from the programme that there wasn't a marriage.
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby jkk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I did notice one rather big error by Samantha that got repeated by the narrator(!). When Jessie first crossed the Atlantic, her profession was listed as 'artiste', not as 'artist'!

What a difference one litter can make ... ;->
jkk

Postby ritah » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm

jkk - any comedians in your tree? Nice to see a bit of humour!

Rita
ritah

Postby jkk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 pm

No comedians that I know of. Lots of preachers, but I try to do better than the average sermon joke:-)

And Alex Kingston is a distant relative of mine (I think her great grandfather is my great great grandfather, though she's only a little older than me), so I'm looking forward to that episode.
jkk

Previous

Return to Who Do You Think You Are? 2012