Moderator Control Panel ]

My addiction and a blog

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

My addiction and a blog

Postby JoTolhurst » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Addicted to searching out family history I've given my self a little challenge which I relate in a blog at http://unfolding-untold-stories.blogspot.co.uk/
I choose someone at random from the 1881 census, checking on ancestry.co.uk that their story isn't being researched there, and then try to puzzle out as much of their family story as possible in a week using only online sources.
It helps satisfy my addiction, hones my searching skills, uncovers new online sources and teaches me a little more about social history.
You're welcome to join in the search and add comments to the stories.
Jo
JoTolhurst

Re: My addiction and a blog

Postby familyNut » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm

I love your idea, it sounds great fun and keeps your hand in too. I do something similar with postcards. I love early 20th century ones posted to friends and family. I take a name and address and run with it to see if i can find the relationship between sender and sendee. Its great fun isnt it.
BRAZIER, PETERS, GOTOBED, LILLEY, TURNBULL, REYNOLDS, BONE, BONNINGTON, RIMMER, DREDGE, MEASURES, PATRICK

stores.ebay.co.uk/1-stop-books
familyNut

Re: My addiction and a blog

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Familynut - it can be more than great fun. I have a friend through the Society of Australian Genealogists, Pieter Koster, who has made more than a hobby out of names on postcards, or old lettercards - he has made a study of one to a lady Ellen Chads, and from a undertaking a Masters degree, I think he is now on to a PhD!! He gave a talk earlier last year at the Jersey Family History Society when visiting there: http://www.jerseyfamilyhistory.org/about/news. So - postcards can take you places!
Keep up the good work. Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Genealogy chat