Moderator Control Panel ]

Bona Vacantia lists on Heir Hunters

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

Bona Vacantia lists on Heir Hunters

Postby ritah » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:47 pm

I have often looked at the Bona Vacantia website and there are thousands of entries so I am intrigued as to how the companies featured on Heir Hunters manage to pick up the new entries on the list which is published weekly.

Any ideas?

Rita
ritah

Re: Bona Vacantia lists on Heir Hunters

Postby phsvm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Presumably they have a facility on their computer system which means they can compare previous issues of the list with the newly published one. I use a similar programme in my job, dealing with patients.

What I find more interesting is how they manage to pick out the estates that they think are worth pursuing. Like all TV programmes there's more research involved than is apparent from the programme!
phsvm

Postby junkers » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:39 pm

At midnight each Thursday morning the new lists are published by the Treasury Solicitors. A quick search using electoral rolls and people who lived in well-off areas like west London would provide valuable estates, unless the deceased person was in a care home when the money would have been reduced. The big companies can run more than one case on a day and only one or two cases may be worthwhile.

It is remarkable in my view that there are so many cases that have not been settled, in some cases there may be no claimants but release of family history and British naturalisation records help.
junkers

Postby ritah » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you junkers and phsvm - I too imagined there must be some computer wizardry that would sort this out for them; as you say we don't see all that goes into making the programme.

Regards Rita
ritah

Return to Other TV and radio programmes