Moderator Control Panel ]

Question re Military Service

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Question re Military Service

Postby stantonbethany » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi there,

I'm researching my great Grandad Maurice Henry Watts service in WW1.

I've been able to discover quite a bit despite the fact his service record doesn't seem to exist.

I've had help with a question I had re Soldiers leave home (as seen by the post kindly put by David)

However a few more queries I have:

He enlisted in Bedford end of 1915 and became part of the Bedfordshire Yeomanry (2108) He didn't go out to France until September 1916 - Was the amount of time that lapsed between enlisting and actually go to the front because of training?

Also when he returned home and married in March 1917 on his Marriage Cert he was down as a Private in the Bedfordshire Yeomanry however between March and his death in October 1917 he had served in the 17th Lancers and Royal Warwickshire regiment (32548) - Does anyone know why he would have changed regiments twice in such a short space of time?

Any help would be great appreciated,

Many thanks.
Beth
Last edited by stantonbethany on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stantonbethany

Re: Great Grandad Maurice Henry Watts

Postby DavidG » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

On average the basic Tommy was allowed around 70 days per year "Rest" which could include weekend passes to the nearest town or 1 - 2 week passes to visit family at home.

According to his medal record card in his short time in the Army your G Grandad served in 3 different regiments:

1st Bedfordshire Yeomanry
17th Lancers, and
14th Royal Warwicks

When he was killed he was part of the 14th Royal Warwicks (Birmingham Pals) with the 5th Division at Ypres during the Battle of Passchendaele (Third Battle of Ypres).

The uniform in the picture is the Bedfodshire Yeomanry.

Hope this helps.

David
DavidG

Re: Great Grandad Maurice Henry Watts

Postby stantonbethany » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Thank you very much David. That is a great help!
stantonbethany

Return to Military help