Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA? 2012: new series celebrities revealed

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

WDYTYA? 2012: new series celebrities revealed

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 am

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen on our website or in our weekly email newsletter, the names of the celebrities set to take part in this year's run of Who Do You Think You Are? have been revealed. From Annie Lennox and Alex Kingston to Patrick Stewart and Gregg Wallace, there are plenty of famous names - and fascinating genealogical stories - to look forward to.

But what do you think? Which episodes are you most looking forward to? As always, we'd love to know what you think...

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: WDYTYA? 2012: new series celebrities revealed

Postby Jeeps » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10 am

I'm looking forward to them all! I love this programme and know all of the guests for once!

I think it's a great line up, heavily leaning towards thespians not that that's a bad thing but a variety of backgrounds (by that I mean current profession) may have proved more interesting. However, that is an observation, not a niggle. Roll on August.

At the moment I am making do with the repeats shown. I think my all-time favourite moment has to be when Natasha Kaplinksky's relative sings in Hebrew in the ruined Synagogue. Hugely emotive television.
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby gedparker » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 am

I'm generally not that bothered about who the celebs- it's their ancestors stories that are more important. The research is obviously excellent in finding out fascinating stories of celebs' forebears. There must be more than Michael Parkinson who had boring ancestors!
gedparker

Postby junkers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

I will be looking forward to Sir Patrick Stewart and Annie Lennox. I hope that there is a spread of stories and that there are not 'spoilers' i.e. that we are told the stories before they are broadcast (including by the BBC and WDYTYA Magazine), it's like knowing the end of the book before reading the first page!.

I don't agree about boring ancestors, I am sure Michael Parkinson had interesting ancestors somewhere in his tree, what I find is boring are repetitive cases with the same types of links, eg 'royalty' links, it's like saying everyone that has Scottish ancestry goes around with a kilt!.
junkers

Postby lala51 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 am

Completely agree with “Jeeps” about looking forward to them ALL and difficult to choose a favourite – they all look interesting.

Am just so envious at the help they get finding all the info – how about a competition with the prize of the same level of help and assistance for all us family history freaks who can’t afford professional researchers? Would make interesting viewing.

It has also mean so heartening to know that it isn’t just me that gets so emotional over long departed family and the tragedies that surrounded them – so thank you to all the celbreties who opened their hearts and allowed you to screen them sharing their stories.

Lesley
lala51

Postby Loish711 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:14 am

I always seem to find that the ones I look forward to are a little disappointing whereas when it's a celebrity that I don't really know much about or particularly like then I've been pleasantly surprised how much I have enjoyed them. Maybe the ones I like and admire have a lot to live up to and when they aren't what they seem on stage I'm disappointed. Saying that I am looking forward to Patrick Stewart due to his connection to the University my daughter went to. I think the person needs to have a down to earth personality and an engaging family history to make it work. Larry Lamb is still my favourite programme and I'd never heard of him before I watched it.
Loish711

Return to Genealogy chat