Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert Grieve

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert Grieve

Postby cuddlylibrarian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:04 am

Hi All
I've looked for years to find a marriage for Robert Grieve, a jeweller (bn 1807 Middlesex/London) and Ellen Good (bn 1821) to prove the fathers. They lived and had family in Islington (from the 1851 census onwards) and I have them on all censuses. I suspect Ellen may possibly be a second wife because of the age difference. I think I have them first on the 1841 in St Leonard's Shoreditch with a son Robert born 1838, but I can't find a birth for him as yet. I think I have the younger Robert staying with an aunt in 1851, Mary Chapman, with her son James Good, so I think I am onto something but can't figure out what!

The second part to this brickwall, and my main stumbling block is Robert, father of Robert Grieve (also a jeweller) of Coldbath Square, Clerkenwell and Jane (Stalker). They are born in Scotland, but I don't know where. My grandfather told me the Grieve family were part of the Anderson clan (he always wore the Anderson tartan) and there is a tale of the Grieve's being somewhere up near Inverness at one time. I'm truly stuck with this and would love to prove the scottish link once and for all.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
cuddlylibrarian

Re: Robert Grieve

Postby callbrian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 am

Hi
I'm not sure whether this is of any use? You may already have this info.

Robert Grieve b June 11 1807, baptised July 5 1807 St Giles in the Fields, Camden. (Father Robert mother Jane).

Robert Grieve to Jane Stalker, 2 July 1805, St. Giles, Holborn. Witnesses Mary Watson & William Grieve.

I will continue to browse Ancestry etc.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 am

Hi
following on from my previous post.
I have now found a marriage between William Grieve and Mary Watson, which would suggest that William is Robert's brother.
William Grieve to Mary Watson, 30 July 1805, St. Giles, Holborn.
Witnesses Robert Grieve & Elizabeth Watson.
No closer to finding a Scottish connection though.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby cuddlylibrarian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi there!
I have just rediscovered this forum and realise you were kind enough to do some research to help me. Thank you so much!
I too think the baptism you found is that of Roberts parents, based on the jeweller occupation which is rather tenuous. They had another son John James Grieve too. Interestingly, John James marries Eliza Grieve Paul and her family are from Ayr. I’m wondering if that is relevant. I will look again at William Grieve & Mary Watson.
Many thanks ... and sorry for the tardy response!
Kind regards
Nikki
cuddlylibrarian

Return to General research queries