Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

Can any Australians help?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:05 am

In August 1912 a death notice appeared in the Jewish Chronicle in London - in the text of the notice, one of the deceased's children was listed as "S Harris of Freemantle, Western Australia". I am trying to trace this branch of my family.

The "S Harris" referred to was Solomon Harris, born in 1863 in London. I have him recorded as being married to Rosetta (maiden name unknown) born in 1954 and her death as 15 December 1939 in Beaconsfield Upper, Victoria, Australia. They had 6 children - Isa, Louis, Memie, Ethel, Claud and Dot.

Solomon's father (whose death notice appeared in the Jewish Chronicle) was Moses Harris, born in Warsaw, Poland in 1828. Solomon's mother was Esther (nee Samuel).

Do these names ring a bell with anyone?

Re: Can any Australians help?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 am

Duplicate post see Help with Research.

Colin

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 am

Hi Robenrose

I've made some lists of possible links from indexes in Victoria, so if you email me on glennpat@iinet.net.au I'll be able to send them. They have print screens and tables, so I can't list it all here.

Cheers
gj

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:43 am

Hi Robenrose

Here in Australia we have a wonderful website called "Trove" which allows one to search a multiple of items from the National Library of Australia, namely archived newspapers. This site is continually evolving with more digitised newspapers coming online daily. I have added your "Rosetta Harris" and the search brought up a "family notice" from "The Argus" Melbourne newspaper for 7 May 1942 relating to your Soloman Harris; it states that he died on 5 May at his residence. I have added the article link as follows http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11975019. I have not searched for any other members but this article lists his children's names and the daughters' married names too. This one is a real gem for you. Good luck with your researching and I hope this information is of some help.

If I can help you in any other way, please let me know.

Regards
Hillary

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:15 am

Hi Hillary - thanks so much for that information ... it all seems to tie up. Now all I have to do is find family members :(

I am trying a few "Tivertons" I have found on Facebook who live in Victoria, I wonder if they're any connection? I'm not sure whether that is a common name or not.

I will get back to you if I need some more guidance, thanks again for your help - it really means a lot.

Let me know if there's anything in South Africa you need done.

Regards

Rob

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 am

Hi Robenrose,

I'm living in Australia, about 10-15 minutes away from where Rosetta was buried! I'm registered to Ancestry.com.au, so I've tried looking up some details for you. I don't know if what I have found is any new information for you, but here goes....

I have a marriage index of Solomon Harris and Rosetta Sparkes, in 1882.

Rosetta died on 15th December 1939, aged 85, and is buried in Berwick Cemetary.
Her parents were George Sparkes and Ann Hayes. Rosetta was born in 1855 in Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia. (I lived in Hawthorn when very young!!)
She had a brother named Robert Newman Sparkes, born approx. 1859, who died in 1940, aged 81, place of death listed as S.Hills in Victoria.

Some of the children I have found are:
Isa Frances Harris, born in 1883 in Kew, Victoria. (I was also born in Kew!)
Lucy Annie Harris, born in 1885 in Kew, died 1974 in Traralgon Vic aged 89.
Marian Eva Harris, born 1885 also (twins?) in Kew, died 1982 in Victoria aged 97.
*could Louis and Memie be Lucy and Marian?*
Ethel Georgeann Harris, born approx.1886 in Hawthorn, died 1944 in East Melbourne aged 58.
Claud Alfred Harris, born 1888 in Kew, died 1968 in Berwick Victoria aged 80.
and Rosetta Amelia May Harris, born 1891 in Kew, died 1975 in Wonthaggi Victoria aged 85.
I could not find any mention of Dot or Dorothy.
All children are definitely stated to be born to Solomon Harris and Rosetta Sparkes.

Isa and Lucy died under their maiden names, so I'm assuming they never married as I can't find spouses. I could not find a spouse for Claud either.

Both Ethel and Rosetta Amelia died with the surname Tivendale. I found a reference to Ethel being married to Frederick George Tivendale in 1908.
A William Thomas Tivendale married Amelia May Rosetta Harris in 1916. I can't yet determine if William and Frederick were related!
Marian died with the surname Preston, but I'm unable to locate any marriage details.

I hope some of this information is helpful in your research. I'm also tempted to drive over to Berwick cemetary to see if I can locate graves and maybe send you photos? Or if I'm not allowed to take photos, at least see if any other details are mentioned.

Family members are also listed on the electoral rolls for this area over the course of their lives.

Hope this has been of use,
Paula.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:10 am

Hi Paula - thanks so much for that information ... this is amazing stuff you have come up with, it all seems to tie up. Now all I have to do is find family members

I am trying a few "Tivertons" I have found on Facebook who live in Victoria, I wonder if they're any connection? I'm not sure whether that is a common name or not.

I would really love to get photos of Rosetta's grave (I can't think why they might not allow photos) and if you have the time it would be amazing to receive.

I wonder if Solomon is buried in the same cemetery?

Please contact me on my email at info@theoverberg.com or via Facebook if you wish ... http://www.facebook.com/robenrose or on my Skype ... "theoverberg"

Thanks again for your help - it really means a lot.

So far this is the only branch of my great-grandfather's family "unaccounted for" ... I have been able to trace family of all the 11 children, or at least draw lines under what happened to them.

Let me know if there's anything in South Africa you need done.

Regards

Rob Harris
Post a reply