Moderator Control Panel ]

Has the TV show helped your research?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Has the TV show helped your research?

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi everyone,

With just weeks to go until the return of Who Do You Think You Are? to BBC One, our thoughts are turning to the TV series and the ways in which it's offered inspiration and new leads in our own research. If watching the show has helped you break down one of your brick walls, we'd love to hear from you: share your stories here, and we'll print some of them in the next issue.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: Has the TV show helped your research?

Postby Pantgwyn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm

I was baffled by the appearance in my family tree of an Italian 'Figure Maker'. Only when I watched the Susan Sarandon episode of WDYTYA USA did I realise that he must be one of the Tuscan 'figurini' who had emigrated from their homeland in the nineteenth century. Subsequently I researched him more thoroughly and discovered that he came from Lucca. Unlike Susan Sarandon's ancestor, however, he emigrated to Hull rather than to the US! In 1861 he sold up his stock-in-trade (there's an advertisement in the local newspaper describing some of the figures he made, including 5-foot figures of Ceres and Flora, and 3-foot figures of 'Wellington, Bonaparte and Apollo'!) and ended up in London.
Pantgwyn

Return to Genealogy chat