Moderator Control Panel ]

Online websites

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Online websites

Postby KayFarndon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:34 pm

I surf the net looking for help when researching family trees and it is amazing what you can discover. The problem is contacting the people who set these sites up. I recently found a site which had Gloucestershire links with names I was seeking. The owner asked people to contact them if they could add information or wanted some, but when clicking on the link the page failed to display and has never done! Do these site owners never check their sites?

I then emailed one of the photographers who was listed and have never heard from them at all.

I am also surprised at those who use Genes Reunited, go to the trouble of posting names, yet never reply when contacted. I think this is so frustrating and wonder whether other people have found this problem too?
KayFarndon

Re: Online websites

Postby a-s-e » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Many many many times !!

I now just write short notes until they contact me back - then they get my full waffle :lol:
a-s-e

Postby Sylcec » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 am

Similarly I have recently taken to posting helpful (I think) comments or corrections on some Ancestry Family Trees, after checking first that the tree submitter is a current user who has logged on within the last month. No-one ever seems to both making corrections or getting back to me.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby KarenQld » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:57 am

Ditto Ditto Ditto
I have found the same thing with Ancestry public trees or owner websites with detailed charts etc. I rarely hear back from anyone on Ancestry. I reply to every query I get on Ancestry no matter how tenuous the link. Why not make the trees private if they do not want any contact. And why set up your own website with a contact email if you do not want to hear from someone with a connection. I think they must just have a short attention span and lose interest in the whole thing!
KarenQld

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

KayFarndon wrote:I am also surprised at those who use Genes Reunited, go to the trouble of posting names, yet never reply when contacted. I think this is so frustrating and wonder whether other people have found this problem too?

Hello Kay and Karen,

Just to say, I have several private family trees on Ancestry.co.uk. If family tree members appear on public searches and other people subsequently email me, I try to reply to them but don't always get chance. My main reason for storing the trees on Ancestry is because they are regularly backed up on their server. My pc does regular back ups to a separate hard drive and I also copy my family tree information on a memory stick every couple of months.

Unfortunately, my pc crashed just over a week ago. After several attempts to restore it, we had to use a back up from mid May because the interim back ups would not restore correctly. This meant I lost several saved files which is really annoying as I do usually back up my information on a separate hard drive and memory stick. Annoyingly, I had not backed up on the memory stick recently enough to save some of the files.

Looking on the bright side, the research I had saved on Ancestry was ok so I just need to look for the original sources again. I also need to reinstall Family Tree Maker 2012 and synch all my trees again.

So, basically some people may be using family tree websites as a storage facility rather than to get in touch with other members.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby KarenQld » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:00 am

Katherine - I use my ancestry tree as an added back up too, it is added insurance. I chose to make mine public so I could share it so expect queries etc. I don't contact people with private trees, I was talking particularly about public trees - that people have the option to make it private if they don't want contact. If people have tried to contact you re a private tree, I don't think there should be an expectation for you to reply.

That's just Ancestry, there are dedicated websites for family trees who I've contacted as their name and email are there to do so - which I think Kay is also referring to - and yet they don't reply, that is odd.
KarenQld

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 am

KarenQld wrote:Katherine - I use my ancestry tree as an added back up too, it is added insurance. I chose to make mine public so I could share it so expect queries etc.

Karen - I'm glad I'm not the only person who uses an online website as a back up.

I forgot to say, another reason why my tree is private is that I store speculative information on there until I have proved or disproved that it fits into the family tree. If it doesn't fit, I can then either delete it or move it to the correct branch of the tree if is a more distant ancestor. As some of my information is speculative, I'd rather not have it made public until I have proved the links conclusively.
ksouthall

Postby KarenQld » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:38 am

ksouthall wrote:I forgot to say, another reason why my tree is private is that I store speculative information on there until I have proved or disproved that it fits into the family tree. If it doesn't fit, I can then either delete it or move it to the correct branch of the tree if is a more distant ancestor. As some of my information is speculative, I'd rather not have it made public until I have proved the links conclusively.

Oh yes; wish some others would do that too! I only started putting mine up late last year on trees that were complete (as such!) ie all the main brickwalls sorted. Anything I am still speculating on, gets left out and added later when 'done'. I notice so many people blithely copy trees not realising the tree may or may not be correct. I HAD to put my great grandmother's tree as so many trees have reserected her from the dead and made her the mother to several of her husband's siblings. :shock:
KarenQld

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am

KarenQld wrote:I HAD to put my great grandmother's tree as so many trees have reserected her from the dead and made her the mother to several of her husband's siblings. :shock:

Yes, that does get really annoying when incorrect information is on other people's trees. Especially if they ignore any corrections that they are sent.

Going back to my back up problem, I had an unexpected bonus yesterday. A few weeks ago I'd ordered a digital copy of a record which I had saved. Unfortunately it was lost when the pc was restored so I sent a polite email to TNA asking if they could resend it. I didn't expect them to be able to but just sent them the email because I thought I'd regret not trying to ask them. Anyway, yesterday they sent me a duplicate copy which I have saved and uploaded to my private Ancestry tree so that it is backed up on their server. So I'm really grateful to TNA for that.
ksouthall

Postby KarenQld » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 pm

ksouthall wrote:[Unfortunately it was lost when the pc was restored so I sent a polite email to TNA asking if they could resend it. I didn't expect them to be able to but just sent them the email because I thought I'd regret not trying to ask them. Anyway, yesterday they sent me a duplicate copy which I have saved and uploaded to my private Ancestry tree so that it is backed up on their server. So I'm really grateful to TNA for that.

That is great. I have found them really helpful as well; I couldn't open a Will I'd purchased (and I'd purchased many!) and they resent it very quickly.
Good luck with your backups - I have a few now. I previously thought just having it on an external drive was clever until I dropped it... so the more backups the better.
KarenQld

Next

Return to Genealogy chat